Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO for google.ie

Options
  • 26-11-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone know what would be better for seo for google.ie, having say football-ireland.com or fi.ie. Really what im asking is if its better to have your keywords in your domain name or have a .ie address?

Unfortunatly i cant have it both ways with the domain name i want because the .ie is already taken.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Having a .ie for a site targetted at an Irish market is an advatage. Also I think I read on here before if its hosted in Ireland it will be an advantage as the results are regionalised.

As for the keywords in the domain, it will help also, its just a question of whether the keywords are an appropriate name for the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

What you really need is either the website hosted in Ireland
    or a .ie for google to pick up on your website when you go
    to google.ie and click "pages from Ireland".

Having 'Ireland' in the domain name will help with searches but
    will not get you listed within the "pages from Ireland" search to
    the best of my knowledge. So it's all depending on which type
    of search your trying to be top of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

And please note that you can't register two letter .ie domains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

blacknight wrote:
    And please note that you can't register two letter .ie domains :)
    Unless you're super-rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Karoma wrote:
    Unless you're super-rich.
    Huh? There is only one two letter .ie domain (ul.ie) and it predates the IEDR..

You can get a two character .ie domain just NOT a two letter .ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

>.<

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Seohelp

To be honest there is a bit of weight given to a benefit in rankings within a specific country for having your site hosted within the country and also having a country specific tld (like .ie). How much? Only Google knows.

Having one or the other is a benefit. However, I would really give a lot more thought to what keywords the target market will be using to search with.

If you think that the most amount of searches will come from phrases such as "Irish Football" (just an example) then I would try to get that name and if it's .com then get it hosted in Ireland (Blacknight is the place to go IMHO)
    If you can find a .ie that fits then I would still advise you to host it on an Irish server.

The name of your website will be important when you are trying to develop inbound links with the keywords that you are targeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Soem good reads on Google and Ireland:

http://www.redcardinal.ie/search-engine-optimisation/19-10-2006/10-steps-to-getting-into-google-and-staying-there/

http://www.redcardinal.ie/search-engine-optimisation/16-10-2006/13-deadly-google-sins/

On the 2 letter domain. I wanted to register co.ie a few years back but they wouldn't let me. I was even close to registering a company called co.ie and suing the IEDR for not giving the domain to me. The fun I could have had with that domain. So, michele... would you have bought blacknight.co.ie?

Rgds,

Dave

Advertisement