Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Magnetic Fields, anybody?

• 26-11-2006 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Great band. But experimental? I was flicking through the booklet of 69 Love Songs, reading what instruments they used. Out of a long list, I remember seeing an actual washboard, a Radio Shack 75-in-one project kit (used for percussion), and hand-drawn waveforms. That's experimental, no?

Also, could anyone explain the concept of hand-drawn waveforms to me? Sounds very interesting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've used hand-drawn waveforms in SawCutter Its a way of tweaking the sound in a panel using your mouse so you can turn a large saw-tooth into a Jagged mini saw-tooth and so on.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've got Holiday which is a really nice album. I didn't know they used such cool stuff for instruments though.

As for hand drawn waveforms, Aphex Twin has hidden pictures in his soundwaves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Actually, I've heard about that before. Cheers for the link!

Yeah, I have Holiday as well, great album. I prefer 69 Love Songs, though, get your hands on it if you can. Sort of a concept album, I think his (Steven Merrit) friend bet him he couldn't write 69 songs about love, and he did, resulting in a lot of original points of view on love, and lot of great songs. That's getting off topic, though.

Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Anyone interested in paying homage to the Twin's sonogram artwork can do so with the help of the free spectral manipulation tool SPEAR: http://www.klingbeil.com/spear/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I've got 69 Love Songs, I gotta say it's well class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement