Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L Plate Modification - Legal?????

Options
  • 27-11-2006 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this is legal or not. I've seen plenty around with the white border trimmed off, leaving just the red L. I'm guessing it may be illegal but anyone know for def if its frowned upon or not??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

afaik no, you have to leave them with the full border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Regulation 20(5)(iii) of the Licensing of Drivers regulations:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI352Y1999.html

...rectangular plates or signs bearing the letter "L" not less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white ground, in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the vehicle,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you show up for a driving test with that bullsh1t on your car, you'll be sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm amazed so how the few that do it get away with it for as long as they do. An Audi A3 I've parked alongside for ages has had his like this for at least 5 - 6 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they get away with it as the gardai have bigger fish to fry, they shouldn't get away with it but do. much like the having an accompanied driver on a first and third provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Fizman wrote:
    I'm amazed so how the few that do it get away with it for as long as they do. An Audi A3 I've parked alongside for ages has had his like this for at least 5 - 6 months now.

Because it really doesn't matter. I think their only benefit is to calm the rage of people driving behind when a learner takes forever to pull away at a junction.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

My sister has trimmed hers. I told her it's illegal but on an old mini it takes up a lot of the windscreen. It kinda made sense. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

kikel wrote:
    My sister has trimmed hers. I told her it's illegal but on an old mini it takes up a lot of the windscreen. It kinda made sense. :confused:
    If she's gonna bother breaking the law, then she should just take the L plate down altogether. Same violation as trimming it, so she might as well be smart about it and be able to see even MORE of her windscreen.....but she obviously isn't too smart to begin with or she would have figured that one out already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Going to that much effort just looks like your planning on having them up for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

"L" plates should not be on the windscreen in the first place.

ROTR
    Windscreens and windows must be kept clean and free from obstructions to vision.

and same from Final Checks for your Driving Test
    The windscreen should be clean and free from visual obstructions, including excessive cracks,

This does not apply to NCT, Tax and insurance discs as these must be displayed, but obviously in a position that does not obstruct vision

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

If she's gonna bother breaking the law, then she should just take the L plate down altogether. Same violation as trimming it, so she might as well be smart about it and be able to see even MORE of her windscreen.....but she obviously isn't too smart to begin with or she would have figured that one out already.

Asshole comment of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

J_R wrote:
    and same from Final Checks for your Driving Test

Noone's ever been sent home for having their L-plates on their windscreen though. People have been sent home for having non-standard L-plates though.
    Max_Damage wrote:
    Asshole comment of the day.

Tbh, I think driving around with an illegal L-plate is bloody stupid as well. Just take the thing down if you're too ashamed to have a legal L-plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

kikel wrote:

Makes no sense, as suggested above why doesnt she just stick on the body work?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

J_R wrote:
    "L" plates should not be on the windscreen in the first place.
    The ROTR aim is to promote courtesy in the use of roads and are not a legal interpretation of the law.

The relevant Statutory Instrument (Road Traffic Licencing of Drivers Regulations 1999) states:

"(iii) a person provisionally licensed to drive vehicles of category B, C1, C, D1, D, EB, EC1, EC, ED1, or ED shall not drive such a vehicle unless there are displayed on the vehicle rectangular plates or signs bearing the letter "L" not less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white ground, in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the vehicle"

Note that it states that the L Plate must be in a vertical position. While I accept that windows are not strictly vertical, they are much more vertical that most of the bodywork, especially at the front of most cars.

AFAIK, the reference in ROTR about keeping the windows clear refers to the various political, sporting, humerous and religious stickers etc. that some motorists feel the need to display. :rolleyes: L plates are a statutory requirement where applicable, and therefore (IMO) are perfectly acceptable on a vehicle window.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I guess they fall under the same category as the tax/insurance/nct discs that you're required to have stuck to your windscreen.

Also I assume that by vertical they mean the right way round (the L isn't on its side) and not placed on top of the boot of a saloon car or some other hard to see position.

Advertisement