Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungarvan Cinema

• 27-11-2006 12:42am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Went along to see a film in Dungarvan today with the girlfriend, after hearing some good reports from several people on the Waterford Forum!

Have to say, I liked it a lot but dont see a huge difference between it and Waterford's? The one thing I loved were those big comfy seats. Not to sure how the angle of all the seats made a difference but im sure it had some affect (I guess it was nice privacy, the people behind couldn't really see us unless they stood up and looked down). Sound was good, but it wasn't "surround sound" - the speakers seemed to be just at the front and loud enough to fill the room?

One thing I was disappointed with was the lack of notice by the cinema staff when it comes to late comers / kids. We went to see Santa Claus 3 (I think that what it was called, seemed to be the only thing on) and all through the film there were kids running in and out of the room, the doors banging loudly (not one of those slow closing doors) each time. Kicked the seat behind us a few times, and there mother was there and said nothing! Late comers just strolled in, nobody guiding them to a seat quickly and quietly like they do in Waterford..

That was the biggest let down for me, but maybe I just came in at a bad time?! Comments anyone? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Sully04 wrote:
    One thing I was disappointed with was the lack of notice by the cinema staff when it comes to late comers / kids. We went to see Santa Claus 3 (I think that what it was called, seemed to be the only thing on) and all through the film there were kids running in and out of the room, the doors banging loudly (not one of those slow closing doors) each time. Kicked the seat behind us a few times, and there mother was there and said nothing! Late comers just strolled in, nobody guiding them to a seat quickly and quietly like they do in Waterford..

Been there about 5-6 times and never noticed that to be honest.

Although during snakes on a plane there was some ould biddy with about 25 children sitting around me and the GF and anytime someone came on screen she'd shout - "Oh, jaysus, the snakes are going to get that poor fecker next."

During saw3 some girl dbehind me kept kicking my seat, When I turned around to tell her to knock it off I realised that it was actually whenever she jumped at something that happened in the film she rammed her knees into the seat to prevent herself from jumping too much.

Still though things like that happen everywhere so I cant complain I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Go to the late shows, they don't allow kids in to those.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bond-007 wrote:
    Go to the late shows, they don't allow kids in to those.

Not a bad idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thats one thing that annoys me. latecomers. it is the only thing about the place that pisses me off. who the hell pays to see a movie when they miss the 1st 10 to 20 minutes

it is definately surround sound in all the screens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Mossy Monk wrote:
    thats one thing that annoys me. latecomers. it is the only thing about the place that pisses me off. who the hell pays to see a movie when they miss the 1st 10 to 20 minutes

it is definately surround sound in all the screens

I hate latecomers! Pity to hear that it is bad in Dungarvan. People shouldn't be allowed in if the film is on. That way they'd show up on time. People who make noise should be kicked out. People who fiddle with phones should be kicked out -- I don't want to hear any beeps or see any yellow glows.

So there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

All in favour of writing to management of the Cinema, say "Aye" ;)

I dunno, well I have a hearing imparment in my left ear (50%) so perhaps I just didnt notice. It just felt like it was being played at the front, but not at the back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Is it worth the drive from Waterford city? I went to James Bond the other night and it was so full I had to watch it from the front row. Needless to say I had a right pain in my neck by the end of it.

Theres just something uncomfortable about the Waterford cinema.

2 years from now, what will our cinema options be in Waterford? Just the new one in railway square?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Trotter wrote:
    Is it worth the drive from Waterford city? I went to James Bond the other night and it was so full I had to watch it from the front row. Needless to say I had a right pain in my neck by the end of it.

Theres just something uncomfortable about the Waterford cinema.

2 years from now, what will our cinema options be in Waterford? Just the new one in railway square?

Depends on whether this Crystal Centre is built at the speed of something built in Naas, Maynooth, etc., or whether it is built at Waterford speed, ala Railway Square, which has been in construction for god knows how long at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

As far as I heard, there's planning in for one out on the airport road roundabout as part of that Edward Holdings development. Such was the talk at the canteen table in work today.

Trotter wrote:

Depends if you dont mind driving. Might be a bit of a pain if you go the cinema a lot. I dont mind Waterford to much, its ok most of the time.

Its nice to go to Dungarvan for films you expect to be pretty good and want a comfortable good viewing. Nice seats, picture is good, sound is good and no faults / dodgy changing of slides etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement