Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over Heating

• 27-11-2006 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I got a Dell Inspiron from the factory outlet at Dell over a year ago. The past few weeks it has started to really over heat. Hot enough that you wouldn't really leave it on your lap after too long. The fan is spinning quite fast and making a bit more noise than it should.

The vents at the side seem to be clear of dust. Last week I was staying in a hostel in Auckland, was watching a DVD when it cut out due to over heating (first time that happened).

It didn't cost much, only E450 ex VAT. But if it dies while I'm here I can't afford to get a new one :(

Any idea how to solve the over heating apart from sitting it on a block of ice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You got it from the factory outlet in Ireland, and using it in ...'them parts'? Hmmm. Electrics issue?
    What are the temp's over there? (What environments does your manual say you can use it in?)

Open her up and check properly for clogged vents & check the fans.
    You should be able to pick up a cheap laptop cooler thing - they help draw the heat away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Make sure you don't have any viruses as they make the cpu work overtime and cause it to get hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Sparky-s wrote:
    Make sure you don't have any viruses as they make the cpu work overtime and cause it to get hot.
    <pun removed>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The laptop is pretty much free of STIs. Regular updates to clear viruses, adware etc.

K, the temp is fairly mild here so far, 20c max. Here 3 weeks and have only used it once or twice. The heating problems started before I left Ireland.

Is it safe to go at it with a screwdriver? Don't want to **** it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

Tray to get your hands on something like this with a good airflow
    http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

I gave up on my laptop because of overheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

This is a well known issue and you can spend many happy hours reading about it on the Internet.

Start here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055019505

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which model, what BIOS - you don't necessiarly want the latest one,

turn on some power saving perhaps ?

Which model, what BIOS - you don't necessiarly want the latest one,

turn on some power saving perhaps ?
    can't remember off hand, think Inspiron 5150 or 5160. Something like that is stuck in my head. Can check when back at the apartment later.

Anything I should look out for before opening it up? Apart from taking the battery out first :) Anything that I definitly should not touch?
    Will a simple wipe with a cloth do to clean the fan if it is dirty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

My 5160 has been running hot for months, fans turn almost straight away after start-up even if it's been off for a few days - never had it actually shut down though, that is worrying!

Not that bothered though, have moved on to my a nice quiet macbook now ;) (and before someone says it I've had no probs with random shutdowns with my mac!!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Use a vacuum cleaner on the fan - bottom and sides

a flat surface under the laptop helps, - big book or tray or table
    blankets and towels and stuff are not a good idea

little sticky spacers to give you an extra few milimeters might also help especially if it's lost it's original rubber feet. (and they give you a slightly better chance if you spill liquid on the table ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

Yes I have seen this many times before...I actually know a chap who was using one of these in Moscow during the winter, and he still has the burn marks from it..My advice is to keep a mobile phone near your person at all times... you can call the emergency services quickly that way...if not get a fire blanket from Aldi. ;)

Ok, will tackle it with a vacuum cleamer before I open it up. Might make a difference.

Anyway, it is 5160 for those that want to know.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you're not running games on it then how about
    http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

which will run the laptop in max battery mode, which will clock down the CPU, so it generates a lot less heat.

mini bump.

Haven't touched my laptop in ages. Decided to take it apart a few days ago. Wanted to clean the fan.
    I wasn't able to fully remove the base. There is two screws under the screen that prevent it from separating the laptop housing.
    Managed to get a look in at the fan, there is good layer of hairy dust covering the area. Needs a wipe down.

Any idea how to open it up if I can't get at the screws under the screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

removea ll the screws from the base, lift up the keyboard then remove all the screws under the keyboard.
    After that liftup the palmrest...

details here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins5160/en/SM/palmrest.htm#wp1105510

Perfect, thanks.

Time to get my screw driver and hammer.

Advertisement