Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Predicting lights. A crime?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ballooba wrote:
    I love the way in Belfast the lights goes Red -> Orange -> Green.When it goes Orange you can start to move off effectively.
    subway wrote:
    i dont think people are so insane that they would just dump the clutch at an orange light
    layke wrote:
    I doubt drivers would go on orange while motorists are whizzing though the junction from the left or right
    subway wrote:
    another problem with introducing that in ireland is the "go on orange" attitude of many drivers.
    AMBER lads, AMBER, AMBER, AMBER ;):):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

feck off!!!
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ninty69er wrote:
    They'd be done for failure to progress on the coninent and rightly so!!!!!

You'll get a progress fault in your driving test over here if you don't take off quickly when the lights go green. (You have to sit with your foot on the clutch with the car in first gear waiting for the light to go green if you're at the top of the queue for the lights.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Stark wrote:
    You'll get a progress fault in your driving test over here if you don't take off quickly when the lights go green. (You have to sit with your foot on the clutch with the car in first gear waiting for the light to go green if you're at the top of the queue for the lights.)

I doubt that riding the clutch is a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yeah, I can't imagine the tester being to happy if you stayed in 1st for the whole duration of the red light. If you see the opposite light for amber, get it into gear then but I'd be sceptical about doing it for the whole time:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm unclear on that myself. It doesn't make sense to me but any instructor I've had has told me to ride the clutch, but then most driving instructors don't have a clue.

I'm pretty sure you do get the progress fault for not taking off quickly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yeah you definitely would get it if you delayed once the light went green and if you didn't get it up to a good speed for the area in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

You don't have to ride the clutch, just learn to change gear quickly. If you are watching the lights you should see the other lights change to amber, then red before yours change to green. Even where the lights are cowled theres nearly always a reflection somewhere that shows what color they are.

TBH lack of progress is a really wishy washy get out for testers IMO. The urban speed limits are so slow you'd have to be crawling for a valid lack of progress. Its a lot to ask a learner to be aggressive/progressive in urban traffic. For most people that only comes with experience.

Advertisement