Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs 3-1 Wigan

Options
  • 27-11-2006 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Good win and great goals to boot. Though Berbs was outstanding and Malbranque is beginning to show his quality.
    I'd be inclined to go with the same starting 11 against the goons next Saturday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Agree about the lineup Pat, but if he's going to change anyone I do hope its not Malbranque. He could be a match winner. No reason to make changes though, we've a week off.

Thought we showed both sides of our season yesterday, flew out of the blocks at the start and I though we'd win by a cricket score then we fell asleep to let Wigan score a soft (but well-taken if that makes sense;) ) goal. Took a while to get back into our stride, but Wigan's concentrating on Lennon allowed us to exploit the their right hand side and we started to threaten with Malbranque/Defoe testing Kirkland and the Hudd firing just over the bar.

Defoe and Berbatov's goals were pure class, exactly why we signed the big Bulgarian (and why we persist with the little Englishman...:p )

Then we did our usual in the 2nd half, Robbo lumping long balls upfield only for them to come right back into our box. I hate watching that sh*t, we surrender possession so easily then we're relying on our back 5 to stop the ball richocheting in off Heskey's ar*e. We played to Wigan's strengths 2nd half, we should have kept the ball on the floor and tired them out by letting them run all over the pitch. Against a better side we'd have conceeded.

Keane's cameo yielded a few chances, that narrow miss just before the end would have been a great way to kill the game off, but the next break proved decisive, Keane's run dragging the defensive line towards their goal leaving space for Berbs to feed into Lennon who finished with aplomb.

Myself and Shane made the trip over, along with his mate (and best man) Eamonn, who is now a converted Yid. Says its the Dubs first, with Spurs a close 2nd...:D Even had him leading the singing in the Coach & Horses after the game!

Special mention for Ekotto, who had a superb game at LB yesterday. He's only a kid,and he's still learning about the game (and the English game at that) but given time and patience he'll be a nailed on member of our soon to be famous back 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Yeah thought it was a good performance too. Although Defoe did quite well I still don't think he did quite enough to start ahead of Keane in the derby. He was pretty anonymous in the 2nd half though, like Ronan said, that probably was partly down to the way the rest of teh team played.

Thought Malbranque was better than Lennon, very good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

saw the highlights on match of the day.
    again, great play.

got to be said, we have turned into a great counter attacking team. am not sure why we persist in lumping the ball away for last 20 minutes?

what exactly stops us from passing backwards or sideways in the last 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

what exactly stops us from passing backwards or sideways in the last 20?

Jol's teamtalk?

Happened all last season, harks back to the negativity of Santini's long ball to Atouba on the left side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Andrew 83 wrote:
    . Although Defoe did quite well I still don't think he did quite enough to start ahead of Keane in the derby.

Keane is way better coming on as a sub than Defoe.When Keane is getting ready to come on, standing next to the 4th official he always has this "I'll fcuking show youse" look about him .
    It must be something to do with him being a Dub;) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

yiddo wrote:
    Keane is way better coming on as a sub than Defoe.When Keane is getting ready to come on, standing next to the 4th official he always has this "I'll fcuking show youse" look about him .
    It must be something to do with him being a Dub;) :D

I completely agree that Keano's better coming on as a sub than Defoe but I also think he's better starting the games too so to get the most time out of him I like him on from the start ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Good win. Football over Muck.

Made hard work of it as usual but our class showed in the end.
    Fcuk Wigan, Bolton etc... enemies of the beautiful game.
    Less then 1,000 away following says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

good result and pretty good performance too.
    we have a few winable games coming up between now and the new year.
    a good opportunity to climb the table and get ahead of teams such as Bolton, Portsmouth, Villa etc...:D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement