Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SkyDSL - Aligning the Dish!!!

Options
  • 27-11-2006 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I have recently subscribed to Teles-Skydsl. (Before anyone starts yes I know it is a form of dial-up but it is the only option I have in the area that I live!)

Everything is set up but I CANNOT align the bloody satillite to 8W. At this stage I am ready to pull the thing off the wall and bin it. HAs anyone had the same problem or know an easier way of aligning it then pointing it at the sky using a compass and hoping to get lucky in finding a metal box 22000 miles away!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A compass is up to 5degrees out

Find out waht local time the sun is at 8W and put two stick to mark direction of shadow.

Suns elevation will be lower than satellite now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

compass is a tad crude, you need to align 3 axes properly

use the free and excellent smwlink program to figure that exactly and ensure that the pole holding the dish is straight when you start or compensate for it not being straight.

http://www.smw.se/

Advertisement