Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room ventilation question

Options
  • 27-11-2006 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

I have vents in every room in my 3 bed ~12yr old house. My question is; Do the vents vent the room and the cavity or just the room? I took off a vent cover expecting to find a large diameter pipe to the outside wall instead I find no pipe and access to cavity and dry lining which does not seem right to me!

The main reason that triggered me to look was that the missus noticed that the cups in a press (cupboard) in the kitchen are really cold! Of course I just thought she was loosing her head, again! But on further investigation I noticed a huge draft at the cooker hood extractor fan. Investigating further I found some cracks in the plasterboard in the hallway along the skirting board and again here there was a gale blowing through!

So over the weekend pulled the cooker hood off and installed a large flexible hose and a vent on the outside wall. The Vent on the wall has moveable louvers so effectively stopping the draft. The house is now noticibly warmer, so much so that its time to turn the heating down.

Anyway back to the original question should the room vents vent the cavity as well? Should I install a pipe through the wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

As far as I know there should be a pipe going right through the wall which allows fesh air into the room.So the answer to your question is, it should ventilate the room only

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Zoot

There should be piping inside all room vents, but most houses do not do this.

I would recommend inserting some piping in all your vents to help with your insulation too (sounds like your house is quite exposed to the wind which would make heat loss quite a concern).

I had a wasps nest in the cavity of our last house because of this a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

Brilliant Thanks guys. Its a Semi-detached house but there is a bit a wind tunnel effect down the side of the house.

Time to measure up for some more pipe.

Thanks again

Advertisement