Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web site build software

Options
  • 27-11-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,693 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking into building a smallish web site for a freind, to launch his startup business , so wont make money from it, just costs !
    My html skills would be weak , but a few years ago i used Front Page to build a few smallish sites !.
    Any reccomendations for what i should use to create a fairly straight forward basic site with ?
    Nothing too expensive or too complex (due to my lack of html ) !
    Has anyone used those template builders to create a site , as offered by letshost.ie ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Dreamweaver is the leader in web authoring but NVU is a good free choice.
    You can download Open Source templates from the Open Source Web Developer. http://www.oswd.org/

Find a nice template and edit up the CSS a bit to fit your needs if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,693 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thanks -- i've never used Dreamweaver -- is it easy to use , or would you need decent html skills to develop with it ?

Any idea on how much it costs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Dreamweaver takes awhile to get used to as far as I remember. I started with version 3 years ago (it's version 8 now... soon to be 9) and was migrating from Frontpage, which took a little while to get used to cause Frontpage messes with your head a lot. I think it costs around 400 euro AFAIK but you might want a graphics program along with that so have a look at fireworks. It's a good companion to start with. Dreamweaver is great software though... especially for the novice cause it allows you to split your view with code on top and the resulting design on the bottom. When you make a change to the preview, it shows you the code it generates so after awhile you will get used to what code does what and you'll find yourself handcoding things instead of using the DW shortcuts.

If costs is an issue... have a look at Evrsoft First Page 2006... it's free software and I've heard some good reviews on it. Installed it the other day and had a quick look and it seems to have enough to get started but I'm set in my ways now so can't see myself moving over.

Also, Visual Web Developer from Microsoft is out there and that's free (at the moment I think) but I think it's more for hand coding but I could be wrong.

Try dreamweaver and fireworks... you can get free trials from macromedia... oops, adobe I mean.

Rgds,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 13,693 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thanks Dave
    I'll have a look at the free trial , sounds like it will do the job -- the site itself i am supposed to be doing , is real basic for a small business , i.e. just displaying the company details , no online purchasing or anyhthing .
    The catch is he wants it done for cheap , he'll pay costs and i'll put it together -- but i don't want to do the dog on costs - as he is a freind -- if it works out another freind wants me to do another more advanced site -- decisions decisions -- anyway thanks.

Advertisement