Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korea - where is the reaction

Options
  • 27-11-2006 12:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭

when north Korea tested a nuclear warhead there was outrage expressed by the US. but a warhead needs a delivery system.

when they tested missiles similar outrage was expressed:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/korea/article/0,,1813147,00.html
    "The United States strongly condemns these missile launches and North Korea's unwillingness to heed calls for restraint from the international community," White House spokesman Tony Snow said.

But ONE DAY AFTER (on Oct 24)the (probably failed) testing of the North korean nuke SOUTH Korea tested a missile.

The Munhwa Ilbo newspaper, quoting unnamed senior government officials, said the country had succeeded in test-firing a cruise missile with a 1,000 kilometer (620-mile) range.

"The missile precisely hit the targeted zone, five meters in diameter, during the test launch," an unnamed official was quoted as saying.

where was the outrage?

If north and south korea got together they would be seriously threathening.

Comments

ISAW wrote:

If north and south korea got together they would be seriously threathening.
    Lol.Because they are such bosom buddies at the moment.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

quoting unnamed

Translation: Bullsh!t.

just more posturing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

For future reference a nuclear warhead is not the same as a cruise missile.

ISAW wrote:
    north Korea tested a nuclear warhead
    SOUTH Korea tested a missile.

Not all weapons are the same. I mean, I wouldn't say we should equally condemn North Korea for testing a nuke and Dennis the Menace for testing a catapult.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

toiletduck wrote:
    For future reference a nuclear warhead is not the same as a cruise missile.

True.

The international community had no problems at all when NK tested missiles, and the media didn't even bat an eyelid at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

bonkey wrote:
    True.

The international community had no problems at all when NK tested missiles, and the media didn't even bat an eyelid at it.

I didn't say that. The OP didn't compare like with like, I merely pointed that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

The world isn't fair, there's us (the West) and them (anyone who might be a threat to us).. anyone who is with us can have nukes, anyone who is against us can't, very simple.

Pakistan test fires nuclear capable missile, wheres the reaction?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,232637,00.html

Would be a very different story if they weren't chummy chums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

toiletduck wrote:
    I didn't say that. The OP didn't compare like with like, I merely pointed that out.

I didnt compare the weapons at all.

I pointed to hte fact that the Media have a track record in linking WMD with delivery systems. One could argue the "20 minutes capability" was what swayed Westminster to supporting Blair. I am asking how it is considered bad (and it IS considered bad when North Korea tested a missile there was outcry form the US) when one country does something but when another country does the same thing (tests a MISSILE - the SAME weapon not a similar one) it isnt considered bad at all?

Isnt it a double standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Welcome to the non-theoretical world of realpolitik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Moriarty wrote:
    Welcome to the non-theoretical world of realpolitik.

Exactly. Iraq was invaded on the basis that it MIGHT have WMD. The second american troops stepped over the border was confirmation of the non-existence of such weapons. the truth is America would never dream of using force against a country with the capability of using WMD, as they might actually use them against them.

World politics = bullsh!t + hypocracy

• Advertisement
Advertisement