Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Problem

Options
  • 27-11-2006 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Friends;

Today I was driving normally; and my Golf 1996 just broke down; I tried to turn it on but no use the indicating light of the battery was on but the Radio, lights; was working ok, so I parked it just on the side of the road and looked for a Garage gave him the keys; and went to work; he called after 3 hours he said that when they went to take the car it worked ok without any problem; and he is not able to find what was the problem..

So did anyone face this issue with Golf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

There are 2 common problems with this MY Golf which will give your exact symptoms. Ignition module and hall pick-up in the distributor. It is easier to replace both than to try and find which one is at fault. VW like to sell complete distributors and will tell you that the pick-up is not available but it is, price difference is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

So until I do this replacement; what should I do if this happened to me again?? Should I run to a garage and do the same thing to be charged for nothing again??

Acually the Garage told me that perhaps this coz of the Ignition but he said that he is not sure about this and If want to replace it it would cost me 160

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There is nothing you can do - if the hall sender is knackered then it will work when and as it pleases. I used to replace these hall senders on a regular basis. Simple enough job really. I can't remember if I used to get them from MDL as spare parts or elsewhere. Maybe Mr.Diagnostic may have a source for the hall sender on it's own. A complete dizzy will cost approx €300 and the hall sender on its own will be a fraction of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

A little more detail for you. the coil and ignition module should be replaced as a pair. These should be available through any motor factors, but its a while since I have done one. The hall sender is available from VAG but they didnt list the part seperate from the distributor. I used to have the number and they would order it in for me. In later years I sourced them from a Bosch dealer I know in the UK (Bosch here are useless). GSF would probably have them too. There are two types of Hall sender so you need the serial number off the side of the distributor to order from Bosch. Sender would cost about €50 as compared to about €500 for the distributor, obvious why VAG never stocked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Mr Diagnostic,

Any chance you could share your UK Bosch contact? PM if you prefer. I am another struggling with Origo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Friends;

This issue did not comeback again; the garage told me it could be coz of the Fuel bump and to check this we need to remove the tank so he told me to try it and c what happen; until now it is ok but today while driving to work I just get down to the market and when I tried to get the car working to continue the trip it did not work; the engine turned on and I when I try to give petrol no response; it go off again; I tried 3 or 4 times then It worked again and I went to the work no problem;

Now I think it is related to the Petrol pump...

What do you think??

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Hi mmalaka,
    I had similar probs with my VW Scirocco. When the ignition went with me it was night and the lights would go straight to parks when driving.A bit freaky if your not expecting it.But i just got an ignition from a breaker and you can just change the electrical part so as to keep the same key.

Another problem might be the fuel relay in the fuse box these sometimes get a bad connection over time and when they heat up after a while the fuel pump stops working correctly.

One more thing might be the fuel filter or the fiter just at the pump in the tank.If there's dirt in the tank this can sometimes get clogged. You can get to this from under the back seat clean it and try.
    Hope some of this is helpfull to ya .

Have fun.
    OCJ

Advertisement