Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ban culchies from building in Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

upthere wrote:
    You're city is poorly managed and makes class distinction against the rest of this nation which is the backbone of Ireland.

Poorly managed Dublin may very well be, however stating that Dublin makes a class distinction against the rest of the nation is making one hell of a leap. Certainly there are extremely affluent areas in Dublin- but there are also areas of far greater poverty and deprivation in Dublin than there are anywhere else in the country. As for the suggestion that there is a class distinction perpetuated by Dubliners against either the rest of the country or indeed anyone else- thats plain bizzare........ would you care to explain where you are coming from with your hypothesis?

upthere wrote:
    And politics in general take more priority in Dublin.

Ireland exercises a form of democracy known as Proportional Representation- as certain population areas are more densely populated than others- they are ascribed additional representatives in the Oireachtas. This is partly why we are regularly redrawing electoral boundaries- to reflect this. Dublin may have a greater population density (than Leitrim for arguments sake) so it has a larger number of constituencies- this does not mean it is more important or has a greater priority- simply that more people live there.

upthere wrote:
    And the reason I drove to Dublin is partly because(not related to me individually) the radiotherapy service is located in Dublin only; we have asked for the service to be extended to the south east but they never acted on it.

While I do sympathise with you- this is not a political matter- simply a matter of allocation of resources by the HSE (and the health boards which were previously its constituent parts). On a similar note emergency neurological care for those suffering brain trauma is only available in two locations in the country- at Beaumount Hospital and in University Hospital Cork. This is not a political decision- its a recognition of population densities. It would be great to have all services available everywhere- but there is a cost associated with this- a financial cost that a lot of the electorate are unwilling to countenance.
    upthere wrote:
    It's horrible to have cancer and travel that much especially when the m11 is blocked because of pipes breaking where they are too lazy to advance plan for.
    I waited 3 hours in a car on a one lane motorway.

You were actually lucky- some people were waiting over 7 hours..... That is not to excuse the M11/N11 screw-up, the National Road Authority screwed up, and have admitted they made bad mistakes. 2 or 3 hour commutes twice a day are pretty much the norm for a lot of people working in Dublin- which is partly why a lot of people want to move out of Dublin. The alternate is to get into work unusually early in the morning and to work very very late- as I am doing today.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to be undergoing radiotherapy and get caught up in the M11 mess. That particular evening was an unfortunate occurence which should not happen again.
    upthere wrote:
    And Dublin airport is not up to the standards inside it. The runway is pretty good and the size, but organisation and planning is unrealistic there. And I know there's more gates than one.

Dublin airport's standards could be improved on- but when you compare it with other international airports its not bad actually. I have spent more time than I care to think about around a lot of Europe's airports and some of the dives masquerading as international termini will never cease to amaze me.

Re: runway at Dublin airport- its not pretty good- its limited length due to planning objections and previous government policy to sell off state property in the area, mean new Airbus and Boeing aircraft will be refused permission to use the airport. The organisation and planning of the airport, as opposed to its management, has been thwarted at every step by the government.

Re: there being more than 1 gate- there are 3. The current proposals for upgrading the airport mean the newest terminal (Terminal C) which cost 248million only 9 years ago- will have to be demolished and rebuilt from scratch (part of the 1.8billion in projected costs). The reason for this is the government refused perfectly reasonable proposals from Aer Rianta at the time- showing projected passenger figures warranted a much larger terminal building and ancilliary support services.
    upthere wrote:
    I was quite open minded up until recently when I noticed the attitude from Dublin people that we all live in huts down here.

Most Dublin people are jealous that people down the South East (and other parts of the country) can afford nice houses with gardens and a little bit of personal space for less than the price of a crabby apartment in Dublin- if anything most rational Dublin people have the opposite attitude to that you suggest- they think that the people in the rest of the country live in manors compared to Dublin accommodation.
    upthere wrote:
    I have to drive to Dublin for reasons and I have wrote that they extend the services to other parts of the country. The health care is not Dublins fault, but the goverments for neglecting everywhere in this nation too.

You know what to do- exercise your democratic right to choose those representatives that best reflect your aims and wants, rather than simply voting in the incumbent because you do not see any viable alternative. The government, for all their faults, are the representatives of the people and were voted in by the people. If you are not happy with them, vote them out. As for the health system being Dublin's fault (or indeed the fault of any location) its not fair to blame a location- those who organise and manage the health service are a totally different matter though.
    upthere wrote:
    I'm just saying that Dublin does get more priority in a lot of issues. The rest can just wait.

Most Dubliner's are probably jealous of the priority that a lot of other areas get- e.g. a lot of Dublin has been more or less tossed up without any forward thinking whatsoever- so you have wastelands filled with thousands of houses- but no facilities or amenities whatsoever and jammed with cars in the morning and evening. Per head of population we do spend a lot more money in virtually any part of the country on amenities and centrally funded expenditure than in Dublin.

One of your previous posts made mention of EU funds being spent in Dublin- Ireland is actually a net contributor to Europe- and has been for the past 3 years now. With the advent of new member states into the Community- none of the regions are considered worthy of EU assistance. We have a number of schemes nonetheless, particularly focused on promoting economic activity in the BMW regions- which are largely funded from the exchequer.

It really is a case of people being convinced that the grass is greener on the other side. Sure- Dublin may have certain facilities that are not located elsewhere- that is more a reflection of its population density rather than any conscious decision to favour Dublin over any other area. But...... people everywhere have so much that they do not fully appreciate until such time as they do not have them......

On that note I am closing this thread- its not an Accomodation/Property thread.

OP- If you wish to continue this I would suggest two possible forums to let off steam-

Long term illness forum

Personal Issues

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

upthere wrote:
    It's horrible to have cancer and travel that much especially when the m11 is blocked because of pipes breaking where they are too lazy to advance plan for. I waited 3 hours in a car on a one lane motorway.
    Then blame Wicklow County Council.
    smccarrick wrote:
    While I do sympathise with you- this is not a political matter- simply a matter of allocation of resources by the HSE (and the health boards which were previously its constituent parts). On a similar note emergency neurological care for those suffering brain trauma is only available in two locations in the country- at Beaumount Hospital and in University Hospital Cork. This is not a political decision- its a recognition of population densities. It would be great to have all services available everywhere- but there is a cost associated with this- a financial cost that a lot of the electorate are unwilling to countenance.
    Indeed, spreading services too thin on the ground simply removes the level of expertise needed. 3 doctors in one location is better than 5 in 5 locations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement