Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barking Dog in Neighbourhood

Options
  • 27-11-2006 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the law on barking dogs? a friend has a dog that does not bark allt but is getting notes left in his letter box claiming the dog barks all-day and the neighbour will take action. There is not address, but he is becoming paranoid with all neighbours aournd him! Ther is 3 other dogs in close proximity, so it couls be one of them......

Where does he stand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

there was a thread here from the other side of the fence recently.
    ie, how todeal with a noisy dog.
    might be a good read.

anyone, if your neighbours are such gimps that they post anonymous letters i wouldnt be too bothered.
    report it to the gardai that youve been getting anonymous vague threats just in case it does escalate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

subway wrote:
    there was a thread here from the other side of the fence recently.
    ie, how todeal with a noisy dog.
    might be a good read.

anyone, if your neighbours are such gimps that they post anonymous letters i wouldnt be too bothered.
    report it to the gardai that youve been getting anonymous vague threats just in case it does escalate.

fair enough! thanks for that ! well if they had a case they would leave thier names! I'll get him to check with the other dog owners, maybe they got the same letter too!

I can't understand how people in high density residential housing estates in the suburds expect "complete silence"! its not possible in this day and age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I don't expect complete silence, but if your mate wants to own a dog, why should that infringe on my rights to a peaceful sunday? I'm not starting on you, just saying that there are two sides to every story. IF the dog is barking, bring it indoors, so it only annoys you.

The good news is, the neighbours cannot do anything until they talk to your mate. Local authorities won't step in until you've tried to resolve the situation face-to-face.

Thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055013471
    Post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52321725&postcount=17

Having said that tho, I'd be worried that I was pissing off the neighbours, although without a name or address, there's not much you can do to address the issue. Maybe the dog is barking when your mate isn't there - is he kept indoors or out? at least if he's barking indoors, only your mate can hear him. My neighbours response to their dogs annoying barking in the house is to put them outside, where it annoys everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Drapper wrote:
    I can't understand how people in high density residential housing estates in the suburds expect "complete silence"! its not possible in this day and age!

well its certainly not possible if some of the residents choose to own yappy dogs and then leave them in a small garden for hours on end while they go to work.

if you want to own a dog, fine, but if it is causing a disturbance to your neighbours then that is your responsibility - you can't just say "dogs bark, tough sh*t, live with it..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Drapper wrote:

Nobody does. But housing estates are built for people - not animals, or their sometimes obnoxious and unsociable owners. Particularly the ones who think they have a right to leave a misfortunate animal out a small back for hours on end barking it's head off.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement