Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biscuit joint suitable for breakfast bar?

Options
  • 27-11-2006 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

We’re going for a raised breakfast bar which will sit on top of angled chrome supports which are anchored just in from the edge of our walnut worktop (finally sourced the supports through the Panelling Centre – they ordered in from Hafele for €42 each).

They sent out the wrong ones though – the ones we have are for screwing into a wooden breakfast bar, but we had planned to use them for glueing a glass breakfast bar.

We’re now thinking a walnut breakfast bar would be fine, but we don’t have a cut-off long enough, so I’m thinking of cutting two pieces and joining them. It would be 2 600mmx300mm pieces joined in the centre to give one 1200mm x 300mm piece. The breakfast bar supports are at 500mm centres, and the centre join of the combined piece of walnut would be supported by the central support.

What would be the best way of joining the two pieces of walnut? It needs to be sturdy enough, but will not be taking very heavy objects, I think the supports can take max 20kg. Would biscuit jointing be suitable?

If I rent a biscuit jointer and cut the holes for the biscuits into each piece and then use a standard birch biscuit that you can buy, would this be a strong enough joint or should I run a strip of walnut on the underside to strengthen it? What glue, if any, should be used on the biscuit joint?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Biscuits may do the job, once the joint is well supported, depending on the thickness of the wood, ie, would you get 2 rows of 3 or 4 bisuits across. The only problem is that just cutting the wood and sticking together won't get a very nice looking join. Usually planing both edges untill perfectly square and flat, then clamping the pieces tightly together gets a good join, sometimes invisable.
    Normal carpenters pva glue will work fine.If that fails,kitchen worktops are usually joined by a bolt type system, a jig is needed to route the holes with a router and the piece is then bolted together. I assume that would be a better solution as a counter top would be heavier than what you are using. I would imagine someone who installs kitchens would have the tools required and may do a nixer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I would second the router and bolt option. Make up a jig and get a good 1/2 inch router. Biscuits might be a bit light. Some thick dowel would be better than the biscuits

Advertisement