Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl BB questions

Options
  • 27-11-2006 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

I am getting ntl BB installed in a house with 3 laptop users.
    What equipment do I need to distribute BB to the 3 laptops ?
    I’m guessing a wireless router and 3 wireless cards installed on the laptops.
    Or do ntl provide a wireless router with their modem?

If I need to buy the wireless router has anyone got recommendations on a good value one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭speedy21

NTL should provide you with a wireless router.

However - Do lots of research before going with NTL by the way!
    I'm with them at the moment and am trying to get out of my contract.
    Their customer service is terrible - speeds are terrible and its down almost every second day.
    Shop around before going NTL !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i've been with NTL for the last 6 months and the speeds have been grand , however like speedy21 for the last 2 weeks or a bit more my connection has been dropping for a couple of hours at a time (usually during peak times)

NTL however are in the process of upgrading their systems (which is why they cant switch on sky movies for me until wednesday :( ) so i'm going to give them the benefit of doubt until the end of the week and if the connection is still crap i'm cancelling my ntl broadband and tv account in total

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Yea i was just on the phone enquiring about bb and getting ntl digi in my room, they cant take orders today.. cause there upgrading aparently hope i can get bb..

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

indeed, upgrades are occuring, the foreign routing links have been sorted and chorus customers seem to be routing correctly since the initial changeover last friday morning.

Now all i want to see is an inex peering popping up on the t2-core.aorta point that all the traffic is currently going through :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

JNive wrote:
    indeed, upgrades are occuring, the foreign routing links have been sorted and chorus customers seem to be routing correctly since the initial changeover last friday morning.

Eh? I'm still going via Amsterdam. You sure this should be sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

yes its supposed to go via amsterdam, that wasnt the problem i was referring to as being fixed. with UPC/chello, routing across europe to get to your neighbour is normal lol.

In short, all NTL and chorus customers are assigned IPs on AS6830 now. they reverse resolved to ntlworld.ie domain.

All traffic now goes out through dbln.t2core-b-ge-2-2-0-0.aorta.net ( peer point 1 in Dublin) and then out to nl-ams-rc-01-pos-0.1.chellonetwork.com ( peer point 2 in Amsterdam ).

So its looking like its getting set up for 2 POPs from the irish market, one in Dublin for irish destinations ( likely to be the INEX peer hopefully ) and the second in Amsterdam for European/International Routes.

Currently though, with no inex peering, all traffic is shuttled from the Dublin POP to Amsterdam POP since its the only route out of it.

The conenctivity issues seem to be occuring, depending on what route traffic ends up coming back into a Polish router path, seems as though the link from Warsaw to Amsterdam is dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭trent

False alarm for me. Rang ntl and despite getting a letter in the post offering BB at our address I was told that the line has still not been upgraded to allow BB. Guess that means I'll have to look at Clearwire as IBB's Ripwave product is not available in my area either.

Advertisement