Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router advice

Options
  • 27-11-2006 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

I've offered to split the broadband I get so the whole family can use it but I don't want my gaming to suffer should a sibling decide to go download crazy, as such I was wondering if installing Netlimiter on every machine (and trusting my siblings to leave the settings on it alone) is the only option or are there routers out there where they can be set up to have differing bandwidths on the different ports, so that the port I run off would be unrestricted whereas the others would be limited?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

The type of router you require will be designed more for a business and the cost will be offputting to say the least.

Just install netlimiter, don't tell them it's running.

Oh you can set them under a limited acc so they can't edit/shutodown the prog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I've got a Linksys Router here with the DD-Wrt firmware on it, it does what the OP is looking for. Sub €100 for the router and the firmware is quite easy to install. Hardly off putting costwise? There's plenty of documentation available on the web on how to flash the firmware and configure the router afterward.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Thanks for the help so far.
    I take it it works through QoS, that's the only thing on wikipedia that I could find relating to DD-Wrt which sounded like it'd work to ensure that my gaming doesn't lose bandwidth when siblings go surfing/downloading?
    Had a look into Linksys routers but there seem to be quite a few models but with just differing letters at the end of the model number, do these have a relevance to what I want it for or are important they for other purposes.
    I'm afraid what I know about routers could literally be written on a match box so I might end up asking many questions.

DD-Wrt is 3rd party firmware. It basically makes a €100 router into a €600 router.Unless you can get a 2nd hand one router that is out of warrenty I wouldn't recomend it.

Then again if it works ok for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

layke wrote:
    DD-Wrt is 3rd party firmware. Unless you can get a 2nd hand one router that is out of warrenty I wouldn't recomend it.

Then again if it works ok for you...

True enough it's 3rd party but if you follow the instructions it's pretty hard to make a brick out of your router. The model I have is the WRT54G and the DD-Wrt firmware works fine with it. Plenty of documentation on the web on how to get it working so if you feel like trying something new I'd go for it.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Have a read here for versioning info. I'd recommend buying a older version (v4) from eBay, they have more RAM and Flash Memory. The latest version, v7 isn't compatible with DD-WRT.

3rd Party firmware (such as DD-WRT) for these routers has been around quite a while, and there is great community support for them. I'd recommend going down this route, just don't get a newer model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Hmm, tried eBay and most auctions don't give the version, the ones that did were a V2 and a number of V0s.
    Might check around town, see what versions are available, worst case scenario it'll just be a basic wireless router and I'll have to use netlimiter to do the trick anyway.
    Thanks

rmacm, op thanks for the info. May give it a shot myself.

If it breaks though stalking shall commence immediately.

farohar, good luck with the router dood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

farohar wrote:
    Hmm, tried eBay and most auctions don't give the version, the ones that did were a V2 and a number of V0s.

Use the 'ask seller a question' feature on eBay, ask them for the serial number, you'll be able to get the version number from that.

Advertisement