Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf letting the rain in

Options
  • 27-11-2006 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

My 98 VW Golf Mk4 has sprung a leak!
    During the heavy rain last week I noticed that the left hand side (passenger side) of the boot was wet and a day later as the rain continued the left hand side back seat was wet.
    Is this a case that the car seals have perished?
    Anyone have a similar experience before?
    Anyone any idea on likely cost of fixing problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

I am sure there was a topic on vagdrivers.net about this recently, If you try a search over there. I think someone had found the solution to it. Its a common thing I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This is a common ocurence on VWs. It sounds like your pollen filter housing is not fully closed or incorrectle fitted. This cause water to seep into the carpet behind the glove box and from there it gathers in the rear left footwell. If the carpet is soaked you may need to lift it up to allow it to dry properly or else the carpet may begin to rot and smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭trent

This is a common ocurence on VWs. It sounds like your pollen filter housing is not fully closed or incorrectle fitted. This cause water to seep into the carpet behind the glove box and from there it gathers in the rear left footwell.

Wetness is in boot and on actual seat rather than the carpet. Think the leak is getting into the boot and spreading to back seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

problem is with the rear windscreen washer tube, travelling from the front to the rear window. The tube has more than likely come loose and water is leaking from the washer into the boot. This is a well documented problem. Bring it to a dealers and tell them to look at the rear washer connection

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sorry I missed the fact that the leak was in the boot :rolleyes: (it is Monday!) and thought it was in the cabin.

So I'd have to agree with L5 and check the washer jet connection in behind the panel on the tailgate. The supply hose usually pops out from the jet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

L5 wrote:
    problem is with the rear windscreen washer tube, travelling from the front to the rear window. The tube has more than likely come loose and water is leaking from the washer into the boot. This is a well documented problem. Bring it to a dealers and tell them to look at the rear washer connection

I'd agree with this. Had the same issue myself where the connector from hose to washer was broken. Just remove the cover inside the boot door and you should see straight away if it has come loose or is broken somehow. I wouldn't bother taking it to a dealers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭trent

Sounds good. The rear washer isn't working so that makes sense that it's the washer jet connection that has become loose.

While on topic I occasionally find a few drops in the front passenger foot well after heavy rain. Think this might be from windscreen as when I had it replaced earlier this year the guy fitting the replacement said there was some rust underneath and that he could not guarantee that it would be watertight. Sound right? or could it be front passenger door seal?

Advertisement