Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wet Laptop

• 27-11-2006 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    My girlfriends sister spilled a glass of 7up onto the keyboard of her 1 week old laptop. She rang me and all I could tell her to do was switch it off, invert it and hope for the best. So far, (this happened Friday) the thing will turn on but none of the keyboard buttons work, though the mouse mat is grand and the motherboard/hard drive are working fine. Sounds like a new keyboard is needed. Are these expensive to buy/get fitted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Same thing happened to my sister except it was bulmers. Tried to clean it but didnt work so bought a keyboard for 45 off ebay

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well if its only a week old, is there a warranty? A guarantee? Brink it back to the Point of purchase and get them to sort it out.
    "7up? Why in the **** would I spill 7up on my new laptop? Do you think I am mad?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

That funny dr.bollocko.....I also suggested the same to her!!
    Can't see it working though cos apparently there was a fair bit of the stuff spilled into it.
    Yeah a simple usb keyboard might be the answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think one of the worst things you can do is switch something off when it gets water into it because if you switch it back on and it hasn't dried, the fusing will blow it. I think, not sure. So maybe count her as lucky:D

Could be more than just the keyboard that's the problem. Check the warranty and see if accidental damage (which usually includes spillages) is included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Well if its only a week old, is there a warranty? A guarantee? Brink it back to the Point of purchase and get them to sort it out.
    "7up? Why in the **** would I spill 7up on my new laptop? Do you think I am mad?"
    The warranty on electrical goods never covers liquid damage and any knowledgable technician will spot the stickyness straight away. 7up is very sticky. However IMHO a good dealer should be nice enough to get it repaired for cost price seeing as they did profit on the sale of the laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

take the keyboard out yourself and clean it (if you feel confident doing so), laptop keyboards are not that hard to take out, usually the bit between the monitor and keyboard pops out, and then there is a few screws, just dont lift the thing straight up tho, there is a small cable underneath that needs to be unplugged.

surely liquid damage would fall into accidental damage though? Best check your warranty anyway as it's different with each machine/manufacturer/retailer:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

Forget the warranty idea..if I bring my laptop to the zoo and an elephant urinates onto my keyboard do you think they will replace it under accidental damage… get real. ;)

But that is accidental damage:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

No way is that an accident... when an elephant need to go he needs to go. I fail to see how you could prove that an elephant urinates on keyboards deliberately in a court of law!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 playwert

plonk wrote:
    Same thing happened to my sister except it was bulmers. Tried to clean it but didnt work so bought a keyboard for 45 off ebay

45?!?
    mine cost 200 when i had to get one last year cause of milk spill...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

playwert wrote:
    45?!?
    mine cost 200 when i had to get one last year cause of milk spill...........
    Did you cry ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Is your keyboard listed at

http://www.portables.co.uk/acatalog/Laptop_keyboards.html

They're stg £85 though.

To clean spilled liquid from laptop keyboards is often awkward. Usually it forms a layer on those contacts under the 'button' beneath the key.

Advertisement