Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand VAT ripoff?

Options
  • 27-11-2006 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    A quick question.

I buy a camera new for €600.

A few months later, I'm selling a camera back to a shop. They say they're willing to pay €300 for it. But the shops says they'll have to pay VAT on that so they'll only give me €300 minus 21%.

Are they trying to pull a fast one?

Won't they be selling the camera for €300+markup+VAT to another customer next week?

They hardly pay VAT when purchasing the camera from me then have another customer pay VAT again on the same product?

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Try another shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

try adverts.ie i hear you can sell stuff there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sounds like bull**** to me. If a shop buys from another company it doesnt pay vat, or does and reclaims it.

Sell it in buyandsell, you will get a better price anyway.

Also name and shame the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

its BS, under certain circumstances a shop can actually claim a VAT allowance on goods bought privately, its to their advantage!

Try another shop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

quad_red wrote:
    Hey all,
    A quick question.

I buy a camera new for €600.

A few months later, I'm selling a camera back to a shop. They say they're willing to pay €300 for it. But the shops says they'll have to pay VAT on that so they'll only give me €300 minus 21%.

Are they trying to pull a fast one?

Won't they be selling the camera for €300+markup+VAT to another customer next week?

They hardly pay VAT when purchasing the camera from me then have another customer pay VAT again on the same product?

Cheers,
    Quad

In a way they are correct as they sold it to you for €495.86 + Vat (total €600) but if it is the same shop you bought it from then they can simply give you a 50% "refund" on the camera. In this way you get €300 and they account for it as a refund. In their VAT books they just deduct 247.93 from their net turnover and everybody is happy.

Private sale is probably better - if it takes zoom lenses I'd be interested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement