Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

no NCT?

Options
  • 27-11-2006 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

has anyone here ever been done for no NCT ie. get the full 5 points and if so under what circumstances?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are no points just a fine of up to €350. My brother got fined €250 for no NCT recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

Bond-007 wrote:
    There are no points just a fine of up to €350. My brother got fined €250 for no NCT recently.

as a matter of interest what type of car does your brother drive?

I think he has a VW vento at the moment. He has so many it's hard to keep track at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭tomster

I've been stopped by Gards few months ago with no NCT (expired 7 months before I bought the car :) ). The only issue I was told is if I cause and accident with no NCT I'll be brought to court... No problems at all, they were more lookin for tax disc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My NCT was due last April and I haven't really any intention of doing it. The only thing that would fail is an ASC sensor gone and Im quite happy to live with that.
    I have been stopped several times at garda checkoints and not a bother. A garda friend also referred to it as "yet another tax on motorists"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Aid the Blade

ive been stopped plenty of times and only one guard ever spotted it.was given the 10 days to produce it there the other day, and was looking on the points website which states 5 penalty points, the same as no insurance and two more than drink driving and either 2 or 3 more than failing to remedy a dangerous defect. i thought it was pretty fair now myself, seeing as the car is mechanically sound just out of test for the last few years

What website is giving out false info regarding penalty points?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Absolutely no reference to getting any penalty points for not having an NCT on penaltypoints.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

I have been told that 2 convictions for no nct leads to auto disqualification from driving. I dont know how true that is though.

More bullsh1t from the apologists for penalty points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

rondeco wrote:
    I have been told that 2 convictions for no nct leads to auto disqualification from driving. I dont know how true that is though.

WTF?

No penalty points for not having a current NCT afaik. But what could insurance companies possibly do, should one claim after driving a vehicle without NCT? Might they claim that technically the vehicle was unroadworthy and refuse to cover the claim? I haven't seen any evidence of this, anecdotal or otherwise though

A bit like an L-driver driving on motorways, really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Regarding a car with no NCT being involved in a crash and an insurance company refusing to pay out, I am told by someone (reputable) in the industry that it's been tested before and an insurance company wouldn't try it now because they would have to prove not only that the car had a defect which made it unroadworthy, but specifically that the particular defect was what directly caused the accident.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/mandatory_court_appearance.php
    am i reading it wrong or misunderstanding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

am i reading it wrong or misunderstanding it?

I think this is the bit you're missing:

"Offences highlighted in bold are active penalty point offences."

No Insurance
    No (NCT/DOE) test certificate
    Driving when unfit
    Careless driving

so its just a matter of when it comes into law that it will be in fact a points offence.
    its only provisional or preliminary at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Road Traffic Act 2002 provides for a total of 69 road safety offences that can attract penalty points, however as of now only 36 of them are actually acvtive. I'm assuming that at least some of the rest will come into force at some stage.

If that were to happen, not only would having no NCT cert then be a points offence (5), but a mandatory court appearence too, as that's what's provided for in the above Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ewlit

i passed 4 squadcars (with guards in them) and i was drivin a fait seicento round the town just ta reddin the car and i had :
    1. no tax or previous tax disks
    2. insurance but no disk
    3. no valid nct
    if ya can get away wit that then the system is a joke... p.s. i got caught doin 96mph 2 penelty points and €80 fine i should have been told to walk home!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dillaneS

ive been driving for the last 7 months without nct.. never been ever asked about it by a garda and im stoppped on average of once a week.. all they look for is tax and insurance.. its only another way for this govermrnt to make money.. the ony possitive thing about nct that it increases the sellin value of a car cause the customer knows if the car is rinning perfectly or not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

dillaneS wrote:
    the ony possitive thing about nct that it increases the sellin value of a car cause the customer knows if the car is rinning perfectly or not
    As I have discovered, the NCT by no means tells you if your car is running "perfectly" - it just tells you it's borderline roadworthy and probably won't kill anyone. Only after passing the NCT did I find out my car was overheating as the thermostat, radiator fan and possibly several other things weren't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dillaneS

yes.. but most people in this country are brainwashed to believe that a car is running perfectly if it has an nct

• Advertisement

ewlit wrote:
    i had :
    1. no tax or previous tax disks
    2. insurance but no disk
    3. no valid nct

You went through the trouble of signing up to boards.ie just so as you could share this with us in your first post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

dillaneS wrote:
    yes.. but most people in this country are brainwashed to believe that a car is running perfectly if it has an nct
    Good point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

you can fail the NCT because you dont have the name of the county on your number plate in Irish? I think this is gone now but when it was there, it was a high failure rate, even though it has nothing to do with road worthiness.
    So your car was a failure because a word was missing off the plate? Thats plain daft. I did hear on the radio that another bizarre way of failing a car in the NCT was that there was a bag of shopping in the back seat.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

G Luxel wrote:
    you can fail the NCT because you dont have the name of the county on your number plate in Irish? I think this is gone now but when it was there, it was a high failure rate, even though it has nothing to do with road worthiness.
    Well, technically, you fail because your number plates do not comply with the standard. Blame the Irish language devotees who decided that having the county name in Irish on them had to be part of that standard, not the people who test the plates for compliance with it. What they do now, I think, is just give (sell?) you a sticker to put on without actually failing you for it.
    I did hear on the radio that another bizarre way of failing a car in the NCT was that there was a bag of shopping in the back seat.....
    It's clearly stated in the blurb you get with your appointment that the testers have to have clear access to all seatbelts to check them. I can imagine that if the back of the car is full of cr@p, including piles of shopping, that that might not be considered good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

I drove around my last car for 3 years and 6 months without any NCT cert and got stopped loads of times. I was ask once where my NCT cert was and I told him that it had failed because the rear wipper blade was defective and I had a retest bocked in 2 weeks. He couldn't believe they fail me for that had a laugh and told me my tax my up at the end of the month. :D

When I sold my car a few months ago I rang up to get an NCT test done and when it passed, it was only back dated about a year.

Just because a car has an NCT cert does not mean it is road worthy it just means that it was road worthy on the day of the test.

G Luxel wrote:
    you can fail the NCT because you dont have the name of the county on your number plate in Irish?

Yep, see my sig :rolleyes:

As Alun said, they give you a sticker now. Quite pro-active of them actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Would you buy a car with no NCT?

My Mitsubishi FTO that I'm looking to sell shortly is failing due to high emissions (nothing else).. dunno whether to bother trying to sort it out or not. Just seems like a lot of hassle to take time off work, get out there etc etc for something that is pretty much irrelevent these days.
    I wonder would most people be cautious about buying a car without one though..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

nm wrote:
    My Mitsubishi FTO that I'm looking to sell shortly is failing due to high emissions (nothing else).. dunno whether to bother trying to sort it out or not. Just seems like a lot of hassle to take time off work, get out there etc etc for something that is pretty much irrelevent these days.
    So the fact that your car is pushing out high levels of contaminants into the atmosphere is irrelevant, is it? Thanks a bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My aunt hasn't had an NCT done in 3 years....came up at dinner the other night.....she researched it and as the NCT is a regulation and not legislation you can't actually be "done" for not having an NCT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

im led to believe that the fine print of the nct cert states that after 28 days have expired the theres no comeback.

Advertisement