Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new netgear router installed now i cant update antivirus/windows

• 27-11-2006 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

hi all

set up netgear router dg834pn using their wizard last week which was a walk in the park

now a week later i realise i cant update anti virus software it keeps saying failed to connect to server, same problem with nokia software updater and my accounts package. also i can get internet connection using internet explorer

im guessing the problem is with firewall on the wireless router but for the life of me dont know how to change settings

i am using firefox via wireless connection without any issues

i can bring up the router page no problem but it does seem to allow you to change settings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Check the setting of your antivirus and Nokia software packages, see if you can get them to either connect directly to the internet, auto detect the browsers proxy settings, or use the HTTP protocol if they don't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

ta for reply

the problem is with the netgear router, i switched back to crappy modem and violia i could update antivirus

still wasnt able to connect to internet explorer though

anyways does anybody know how to disable the built in firewall on thr netgear router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Wait, you're contradicting yourself now, can you please proof read your posts?
    also i can get internet connection using internet explorer
    still wasnt able to connect to internet explorer though
    it does seem to allow you to change settings
    Can you or can you not change the setting on the firewall? If you can, have you made any changes? Have you tried reading the user manual\Netgear website for help on how to set the firewall rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

sorry for any confusion

what i meant was i could do everything as normal when i reconnected my old modem i.e update virus software/ except connect to internet via internet explorer

there doesnt seem to be any option in the netgear router set up screen to disable firewall, i chave tried unchecking/checking boxes but dont really know what to be looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Is your Internet Explorer still set to connect to the Internet using the dial up modem? The AV etc may be set to use the settings in IE to connect and update.

So in IE try this: Tools -> Options -> Connections. In there select the option that says "Never Dial a connection" or something like that.

This should force it to use the Netgear modem.

I think...... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

Take a few minutes to read the manual, by default netgear routers allow unrestricted outbound access, if you have changed the settings to block all outbound access you need to find out what port the update services is running on and create a rule to allow the update software to communicate out

Advertisement