Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Server - Multiple insert

Options
  • 27-11-2006 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet of about 600 values that need to be inserted into a table.
    The insertion can only be done through the query analyser so i cant use Enterprise manager to create
    a dts package (which i would normally do)

Im wondering if i can put all these values into an array and jog through them and insert each one.

Any ideas would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm assuming (probably incorrectly) that you're writing a sql script to insert them because you've said you have to use query analyser. Is this true? If so I'm not sure how you're going to use an array. Sounds like a cut and paste job to me. If so use a good text editor (or even a poor one) to insert the required SQL statements and then run that from QA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Use the spreadsheet functionality to build a SQL INSERT for each row.

If its Excel, for a 2-column insert you'd have something like the following in C1:

="INSERT into MyTable Values ('" & A1 & "', " & B1 & ")"

Then copy-fill this down for your 600 rows, so the row value is auto-incrememnted in the formula for you.

Then copy the 600 rows and paste the results into Query Analyzer.

Note that I've assumed column A contains string data (hence the ' around it) where B contains numeric.

This is the easiest (IMHO) one-off solution. If you need to automate, or do something more clever, then obviously you need to code a solution. Again, if its in Excel, some VBA would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭zdragon

ok guys verry funny:)
    so I think the better way will be to have data in CSV format, or any other structure like XML ..
    then use a simple SQL guery to read this CSV file and insert it in your table..
    don't mess with copy/paste and text editors.

BULK INSERT bulktest..t_float
    FROM 'C:\t_float-c.dat' WITH (FORMATFILE='C:\t_floatformat-c-xml.xml');
    GO

for more check with MSDN:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188365.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

i knew there was a way to automate this.

Thanks for all the replies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Just use BCP . . . and change the file to csv. Will be in a jiffy

• Advertisement
Advertisement