Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vinyl online

Options
  • 27-11-2006 7:20pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know Dublin/Ireland can suck for really good vinyl shops (you tend to find the odd gem here and there), so what about online?

I'm looking for sites that sell vinyl (and deliver to Ireland) and some kind of good site with details on vinyls (rarity, features etc.)...

Just a quick note; I'm looking for vinyl albums, not dance/dj discs or compilations...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

www.discogs.com for info

ebay, gemm, Aquarius Records for purchasing. Personally I do most of my vinyl shopping in Dublin or direct from the labels (as it's mainly small labels that release vinyl worth getting). Road Records is normally great for new releases on vinyl and the second hand sections in SpinDizzy normally harbour some classics.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for that... where abouts is SpinDizzy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Vinyl is making a comeback. I saw the picture disc of the new Killers album on sale in Virgin at the weekend. They were also selling a vinyl version of the new Scissor Sisters. Neither was much more expensive than the CD version, either.

Apparently the number one gadget for men this Christmas is a turntable (that one that connects into your PC via USB is helping to drive this, I'd imagine).

blastman wrote:
    Vinyl is making a comeback. I saw the picture disc of the new Killers album on sale in Virgin at the weekend. They were also selling a vinyl version of the new Scissor Sisters. Neither was much more expensive than the CD version, either.

Apparently the number one gadget for men this Christmas is a turntable (that one that connects into your PC via USB is helping to drive this, I'd imagine).

Not certain about comeback; I never really went away from what I can see. Every odd year a mainstream band put something out on vinyl and a rake of news-features pop up on TV about it, but a lot of rock bands tend to put stuff out on vinyl as standard (and the nicer ones make it worthwhile with extra tracks, sexy packaging etc.)
    I got into it through Pearl Jam a few years ago, and tend to pick up vinyl if it's a good price or limited edition/unusual... I stumbled across a record shop in Birmingham a few months ago that was closing down, picked up loads of original stuff in great condition for £1-2... sadly I only have 1/2 an hour to browse and the place was huge; could have spent the day in there picking stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Flogen, SpinDizzy is in George's Street Arcade around the corner from Road Records. City Discs in Temple Bar also has some good new vinyl.

John wrote:
    Flogen, SpinDizzy is in George's Street Arcade around the corner from Road Records. City Discs in Temple Bar also has some good new vinyl.

Ah, I know the place... just don't know it by name.

Cheers.

Oh and keep an eye out for that record fair that's on every few months, I've gotten some great stuff there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gombean

If you are looking to buy new releases then one of best online vinyl stores in my opinion is www.recordstore.co.uk . They offer a good selection of vinyl LP’s and their service is very good. I have bought from them but only to purchase 7” singles. Postage and package costs are not too expensive with them either.

Other people have recommended www.sisterray.co.uk to me but I have never used them and I don’t find their website that user friendly. They are a large record store based in London that deals mostly in vinyl. Take a look anyway.

I have also used www.hmv.co.uk a couple of times. Their service is ok, but their postage and package is very expensive.

If you are looking for a specific album check to see if that bands label has an online music shop.

If you are looking for older albums then in my opinion your best bet is Ebay. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

hardtofindrecords.com is what i used use when i went through my DJ phase...

T.Sc.
    I wouldn't recommend htfr for older vinyl. Reason being is that they don't grade their vinyl saying whether it's new/used/good condition etc.

I have actually used them quite a lot and I only ordered a couple of records off them the other day. But I buy dance stuff off them, which is what they mainly do, and I only order new stuff from them. They can also be very expensive for the rare stuff.

The best one for older more rare stuff in Gemm. Plus if you order off sellers through the gemmshield thingy you have protection guarantee which is always a good thing.

blastman wrote:
    Here's the Turntable you're talking about. It's actually being pitched as a way to convert your old vinyl on your pc. A good idea I suppose but also a bit gimmicky.
    flogen wrote:
    never really went away
    Very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

BaZmO* wrote:

Here's the Turntable you're talking about. It's actually being pitched as a way to convert your old vinyl on your pc. A good idea I suppose but also a bit gimmicky.
    True, I went for the Bush mini turntable as it has its own preamp built-in and it got great reviews for such a cheap turntable. I can connect it to my hi-fi or my PC easily.

I'd also like to swing in with a recommendation for recordstore.co.uk. I wouldn't say their postage is cheap, but it's better than HMV. I just received the triple vinyl version of Stop The Clocks from them the other day....nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Muso78

If you want to buy vinyl from an Irish website, then try www.musicfirst.ie. Delivery is very quick and it's cheaper than the UK websites for vinyl.

Muso78 wrote:
    If you want to buy vinyl from an Irish website, then try www.musicfirst.ie. Delivery is very quick and it's cheaper than the UK websites for vinyl.
    That's just an ebay store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 shanebai

musiczone.ie from cork are just after opening an online store that sells loads of new vinyl.

shanebai wrote: »
    musiczone.ie from cork are just after opening an online store that sells loads of new vinyl.

Are they selling time machines too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 shanebai

Couldn't see any on the website no, but google provide an outlet:)

Advertisement