Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Damper.

• 27-11-2006 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've done a search on this and no results. So I need a bit of help please.

With the windy days and nights recently, the open fireplace is essentially sucking the warm air out of the room. I wondered if there was a company in Ireland who make / install chimney dampers, i.e. something that goes on top of the chimney which you can open or close to control the airflow. Indeed, you should be able to close it completely when the fire is not in use so that the warm air in the room is not drawn up the chimney. Apparently, these dampers are required by Building Regs in other countries but not mentioned here.

I could buy a round damper from the US for the top of the chimney but my situation is complicated as the chimney pots are octagonal in shape and more importantly have some kind of ornamental holes near the bottom of the chimney pot.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There's been a good few threads on this. Do a search and see what turns up.

Here's one to start > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054975650&referrerid=&highlight=chimney+block

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

crosstownk wrote:
    There's been a good few threads on this. Do a search and see what turns up.

Here's one to start > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054975650&referrerid=&highlight=chimney+block
    Crosstownk.... at the risk of sounding rude (which I don't mean to be), I've done the search and no results as per my original post. I am also not interested in blocking the chimney with a pillow, again as per my original post. Having said all of that I do appreciate you taking the time and having the consideration to reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ahhh - I see now! Maybe something like this is more what you're after. But you might have to get the cap made a little bigger in order to accomodate the octagonal design of your chimney pot. I don't know how adjustable it is, but it's worth enquiring about.

http://www.chimneyclosure.com/

Thanks crosstownk. Thats close alright. Only one problem to sort is the small openings lower down the pot. I can think of a way of closing those. Normally, its not a problem but with all the wind recently, the house is freezing no matter how much heat you have on.

At least now I have something to get on with.

Thanks again for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Avns1s wrote:
    Thanks crosstownk. Thats close alright. Only one problem to sort is the small openings lower down the pot. I can think of a way of closing those. Normally, its not a problem but with all the wind recently, the house is freezing no matter how much heat you have on.

At least now I have something to get on with.

Thanks again for your help.

The openings aren't generally decorative and would traditionally have been to increase / improve the draught of the chimney

Simple solution is a chimney ballon .. you shove up the chimney and inflate when there's no fire to stop the draught.

http://www.chimney-balloon.co.uk/acatalog/

If I was in your situation I'd probably remove and replace the pot though unless your building is listed.

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy.

I'd say these openings are decorative or at least, while they may add to the draught, they certainly aren't needed. The house is on a hill, with no high trees around it. There is no issue with either downdraught or insufficent draught generally. So they could be closed without any problems.
    The pillow idea isn't really a runner as the fire is in use each day and what I would need is something that would be able to reduce the draught somewhat when the wind is at "full tilt". Changing the pot isn't really what I want to do either as the house is just a year old.....I know I should have thought about this before.

Thanks for your help though. All food for thought and all contributes to whatever might be the final solution.

I have investigated crosstownk's suggestion and they can do something for €350, this is a bit steep TBH so we'll have to see how it goes. I might find a cheaper solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

Hi Avns1s,

I came across this thread while looking for an answer to my chimney draught problems. I have the same problem as yourself, most of the info I found on the net is to do with the pillow or balloon solution.

Did you have any luck finding another solution? €350 seems expensive for the Chimney Closure, but it looks like I’ll just have to bite the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

ShowAndGo wrote:
    Hi Avns1s,

I came across this thread while looking for an answer to my chimney draught problems. I have the same problem as yourself, most of the info I found on the net is to do with the pillow or balloon solution.

Did you have any luck finding another solution? €350 seems expensive for the Chimney Closure, but it looks like I’ll just have to bite the bullet.

what about an anti-downdraught-cowl?
    http://www.hotline-chimneys.co.uk/cowls_main.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

…emmmh , I am not too sure… The problem is that the draw up the chimney is very strong.

As far as I know the anti-downdraught cowls stop the draught from going back down the chimney blowing smoke into the room. Some of them (revolving chimney cowls) do this by increasing the draw up the chimney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zakolly

I am having the same problem re the down draught.
    Have searched the net and found schiedel.co.uk who do throat dampers which basically allow you to seal the chimney closed when not being used, they simply open & close with a handle.
    The good news is they have headquarters in Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic, hope it helps

• Advertisement

Well, I finally solved the problem. I went out and bought a stove.

At least now I can control the flow of air up the chimney which has the effect of keeping the house warmer generally.

Much better efficiency from the fuel I'm burning also and the room is warm in the morning which is nice too.

I'm a reluctant convert from open fire to stove, but a convert none the less. I should have done this ages ago. Stove plus all the bits cost less than €1k, (cheap (well, better value) compared to chimney top damper, but I sure this is useful in other situations too!) Non boiler and self install BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What type of stove did you install?
    I'm looking to move from an open gas fire to a stove shortly.

I installed the Stanley Tara Non Boiler.

Some info:

http://www.waterfordstanley.com/44_437.htm

http://www.gings.ie/pdfs/stovesbrochure.pdf (I didn't buy it there BTW!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I'm just bumping this thread because two years later there is still no solution to the simple problem of closing an unused or seldom used chimney flue.

So much for the green priests and their eco solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I'm just bumping this thread because two years later there is still no solution to the simple problem of closing an unused or seldom used chimney flue.

So much for the green priests and their eco solutions.
    Best bet would be to install a small cheap stove - like the stanley oisin (theyre only €400). Even if you never use it, you will get your money back in the long run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Plastic bin bag stuffed with used bubble wrap and rammed up the flue. Cost : as close to €0 as makes no difference.

My fireplace isn't used at all and IMO just wastes space on an otherwise useful wall, so for me it's a permanent solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Agree totally. If it was up to me I'd never have installed an open fire as they are a complete waste in terms of space and fuel with most of the heat going up the chimney. However, my dear wife is a country girl who loves an open fire so she got what she wanted. 2 years after moving into the house, the open fire has only been lit 3 times, by me, cleaned out, by me and I suffer the cold down draughts from the chimney when I'm watching a movie in that room while she is toasting her bum in the family room off the kitchen where I installed a pellet stove.

Moral of the story, don't get married :mad: :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Alun wrote: »
    Plastic bin bag stuffed with used bubble wrap and rammed up the flue. Cost : as close to €0 as makes no difference.

My fireplace isn't used at all and IMO just wastes space on an otherwise useful wall, so for me it's a permanent solution.
    Only issue here is that you need to maintain a minimum level of airflow - or else in the long term, you will have damp issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

The bin bag up the fireplace is one option, yes. But I'd rather cap the pipe on the roof. How hard can it be for someone to come up with a flexible cap with a band to tighten round it?

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Only issue here is that you need to maintain a minimum level of airflow - or else in the long term, you will have damp issues.
    That's what air vents are for. I lived for the best part of 20 years in houses without fireplaces at all with no damp issues.

• Advertisement

Maybe a cone topped cowl on the top of the chimney to prevent significant rainfall entering the flue, coupled with the binliner stuffed full of bubble wrap might give the most "value for money" solution. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

That's what air vents are for. I lived for the best part of 20 years in houses without fireplaces at all with no damp issues.

This isn't the issue at all, you need to maintain ventilation through the chimney to prevent it becoming damp. If some airflow is not maintained condensation can form within the flue, running down the inside (gathering tar and soot as it does so) and destroying your hearth in the process. Rainwater can also enter the flue at high level, so it is essential not to completely block an open fireplace without providing some minimal ventilation.:)

This isn't the issue at all, you need to maintain ventilation through the chimney to prevent it becoming damp. If some airflow is not maintained condensation can form within the flue, running down the inside (gathering tar and soot as it does so) and destroying your hearth in the process. Rainwater can also enter the flue at high level, so it is essential not to completely block an open fireplace without providing some minimal ventilation.:)
    OK, didn't know that. No sign of any water or condensation dripping down so far, but then I *never* use it anyway, so I'm not too bothered if it does to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

OK, didn't know that. No sign of any water or condensation dripping down so far, but then I *never* use it anyway, so I'm not too bothered if it does to be honest.

This is the answer--if u have a chimney--you need this

http://www.chimneyclosure.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Yep.Chimney closure is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

gerocks wrote: »
    Yep.Chimney closure is the way to go.

Chimney closure looks good allright, I just drylined the house and dont want to waste all the insulation with fireplace heat loss, but its an old house and I like the open fireplace look. There is a fire place in each room. Anyone have experience with these?

Is the cost still €350? Not a huge amount, but I need two of them.
    Are the effective at keeping the draught out?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kbt

HI, Check out the Chimney Draught Excluder from www.EcoEfficiency.ie I think it offers the best solutionn to an open chimney!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Has anyone had any experience with this product?

http://www.chimneydraughtstop.ie/

It's difficult to see from the website what it actually is ?

Any ideas? 250 euro fitted is cheaper than the other product but is it better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mossy2

Hello There
    At the risk of being unfair to Chimney draughtstop - I'd be skeptical about dealing with a company who's website is very heavy on claims and very light on information.

It might just be down to a bit of unfortunate web design, or, on the other hand -€250 buys a lot of binliners and bubblewrap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No photo of the product either.

Advertisement