Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Damper.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Did anyone find out about the "Chimney Draught Stop" ?
    I'm now interested in it, but there is still sod all information on the website.
    Chimney Closure (http://www.chimneyclosure.com/) has a lot more about the product but it's currently 370 yo-yo (inc fitting) so is considerably dearer that the Chimney Draught Stop.

One encouraging thing however is that Chimney Draught Stop is guarenteed for 5 years, whereas Chimney clousure is only 2 years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 girlypants

hi , ive had a multi-fuel stove installed but i am finding that i am burning alot more fuel than i should be.... i have been advised that the problem is that there is too much draw on the chimney which i believe (you should see the flames disappearing up the back of the boiler toward the chimney)....someone mentioned a chimney damper which would reduce the draw on the chimney ....but is this within regulations and is it dangerous as we are only looking to reduce the draw to a more acceptable level and not to close off the chimney ...does anyone have the solution ..id really appreciate the feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

girlypants wrote: »
    hi , ive had a multi-fuel stove installed but i am finding that i am burning alot more fuel than i should be.... i have been advised that the problem is that there is too much draw on the chimney which i believe (you should see the flames disappearing up the back of the boiler toward the chimney)....someone mentioned a chimney damper which would reduce the draw on the chimney ....but is this within regulations and is it dangerous as we are only looking to reduce the draw to a more acceptable level and not to close off the chimney ...does anyone have the solution ..id really appreciate the feedback

hi, if you have a stove and are still burning too much solid fuel it is a problem with the stove...you should be able to control the draught/air entering the stove via a door or air intake on the stove...not the chimney, mail me if i can be of any help, i have experience in these probs.

brnmcnamee@yahoo.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ecodan

Mod edit.

daniel

there are no free adverts on boards, please read the charter before posting, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

ecodan wrote: »
    add removed

the problem with this device...is that it allows moisture to enter the chimney, this can then freeze and cause massive damage to the linings, and as it seems to be made of a mild steel, it will allow rust to run from it if it gets damp..over time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lyon_smith

Did anyone go ahead with fitting a chimney damper?

I been investigating two Irish websites that have both been referred to in this thread, I'd be interested to know if anyone has installed either of their products and whether they found them to be effective.

One is the Chimney Draught Excluder that seems to fit at the bottom of the chimney (www.ecoefficiency.ie)
    The other is the Chimney Closure that sits on top of the chimney (www.chimneyclosure.ie).

I'm not interested in the Chimney Draught Stop as I think the website doesn't contain enough product information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

lyon_smith wrote: »

I installed a stove in the end. Saves quite a bit of fuel and resolves the draught as i had to purchase a chimney adaptor. The adaptor connects to the back of the stove and is fitted up into the chimney. This reduces the diameter of the chimney to the diameter of the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

lyon_smith wrote: »

I fitted a Chimney Closure - defintely made a difference. It does not seal fully as I have an old style chimney pot with a design around the rim and would be best on a flat chimney pot where it would be fully flush with the rim. However it does cut the draught substantially and I also use it when the fire is lit - at maybe 75% closed once the fire has lit fully and is not smoking - and it makes a big difference to the amount of heat thrown out by the fire.

Thanks for the replies - good to know it works!

Just one more question: from the website it looks like there's a chain coming down the chimney to open / close the closure... does this get in the way of sweeping the chimney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

TMC99 wrote: »
    ...and I also use it when the fire is lit - at maybe 75% closed once the fire has lit fully and is not smoking - and it makes a big difference to the amount of heat thrown out by the fire.

I hope you checked the carbon monoxide in the room after doing this!! These kinds of comments should come with a very large Health Warning !!:eek:

I purchased a carbon monoxide tester with a display that shows the carbon monoxide in ppm . If i leave my stove door open for even a few minutes the reading shows amounts of Carbon Monoxide, which remember is colourless and odourless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

I have been looking for one of these for a while and found this from an Irish supplier. Deville Chimney Damper.

http://ecostore.ie/energy-fuel-products-1/fireside-heater-range/chimney-dampner-energy-saver

The wholesaler is http://www.deville.ie/

Can be ordered from most DIY stores

I would have worries about CO gas building up but assume that the unit cannot seal the chimney 100%.

John

bmm wrote: »
    I purchased a carbon monoxide tester with a display that shows the carbon monoxide in ppm . If i leave my stove door open for even a few minutes the reading shows amounts of Carbon Monoxide, which remember is colourless and odourless.

Are CO testers easy to come by? I assume if we have one in the room then we can monitor the impact on CO levels if we partially close the damper

Have not swept the chimney yet (its been installed 2 years but we dont use the open fire all that much) - I dont think it would be an issue, its quite a light/small chain and I reckon it would pass through the brush without issue. Worst case, you might have to pull it tight when brushing

I hope you checked the carbon monoxide in the room after doing this!! These kinds of comments should come with a very large Health Warning !!:eek:

Have a carbon monoxide detector in the room and it doesn't cause any issues - no more than using any damper on a fire, you need to leave sufficient flow to allow it exit via the chimney.

As a matter of interest what PPM reading do you get normally (stove not lit) and when the stove is lit / lit & door open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ecodan

hi i actually sell these.... the maufacturer has changed the design since november. the retail for around 120 euro in most DIY stores

http://www.fire-genie.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FredTheBuilder

There's another alternative too - the Chimney Sheep. A felt disk that's simple and to use and very reasonably priced.

http://www.chimneysheep.co.uk/

Advertisement