Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows licence question

• 27-11-2006 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

My hard drive is slowly dying and I need a replacement. I have no problem buying a new one but I'd prefer not to buy a copy of Windows as I effectively already have a licence from when I bought this machine. Problem is, Dell didn't supply me with a Windows disk (the installers are in a hidden partition on my crappy dying hard drive). If I get a Windows XP disk from a mate will I be able to legitimately install it on a blank drive? I have a "product key" on the Genuine Windows sticker on my machine but thats about it... or would it be worth getting in touch with dell and asking them for an xp disk even though its out of warranty?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If XP came preinstalled from Dell then the license is bound to that machine (/motherboard) so no problem installing it on a replacement hard drive.

The other CD could be used if it's the save type - PRO vs. HOME, if the CD is a later service pack level it may not accept the earlier serial, if it's a brand other than Dell it may not install on the Dell system

you could try to make images from the Hard drive - not sure how F12 on startup or something or is there a utility ?

If you were in warranty then defo get in touch with Dell, might still be worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Is there any software installed that allows you to make you a master boot disk? I have a Packard Bell that has the windows install on a separate partition but i was able to make a masterboot disk to use for recovery! I'm sure there must be something similar on your dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hmm, I'll try getting hold of an XP home SP2 disk then. I'd really prefer not to call Dell unless I need to, they're such arses, especially over the phone.

Stokolan wrote:
    Is there any software installed that allows you to make you a master boot disk? I have a Packard Bell that has the windows install on a separate partition but i was able to make a masterboot disk to use for recovery! I'm sure there must be something similar on your dell.

There's a Norton recovery utility on the hidden partition. Forget exactly what its called. I think its just for reformatting the drive and/or reinstalling windows though. If I get an XP installer disk I assume I'll be able to boot from that and install windows from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

not suer if this will help but worth a try http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=F0298774D06E7340E030030ABD62396D&c=us&l=en&s=gen

Other idea is to make a ghost image of the drive using the nortan ghost.

• Advertisement

Stokolan wrote:

That looks perfect, cheers. Wow, I didn't know that any of the crap dell preinstalled on their machines could actually be useful for something :)

Advertisement