Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a laptop

Options
  • 27-11-2006 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi. I have a dell inspiron 2650 and it is pretty rubbish.
    Here is what I want in it:
    DVD writer
    USB 2.0 ports
    New Harddisk
    More Memory

How can I add all this to it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not much else you can do from what I can see, the max memory that it can handle is 512MB.
    You can get a PCMCIA card to add USB 2 ports. A new hard drive and dvd writer probably won't be too hard to find either.
    You have little or no options with graphics in a laptop that old I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

Ruu wrote:
    Not much else you can do from what I can see, the max memory that it can handle is 512MB.
    You can get a PCMCIA card to add USB 2 ports. A new hard drive and dvd writer probably won't be too hard to find either.
    You have little or no options with graphics in a laptop that old I would say.
    So, is this all pretty straight forward? Where can I get all this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Komplett should net you what you need.

RAM must be SO-DIMM DDR so get some Crucial or Corsair modules remember what Ruu says above it's limited to 512MB so if you have only 256MB open up the RAM housing and see if it is a single 256 DIMM or two 128 DIMM's.

Your DVD writer will have to be external unless the connector type it uses is of the universal kind. Remove the internal DVD if at all possible and check the connector. If it does have the compatible connector you can use one of these drives.

Notebook hard drives can be found here.

USB 2 PCMCIA controller.

So when I get all this stuff, esp. harddrive, will it be all plain sailing installing windows back on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You shouldn't have a problem.

• Advertisement

So, is there anywhere on the net where there is a guide to reinstalling windows etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you can sign up to this site then you can install windows. Assuming you have a cd, press f12 on startup and select boot from cd. When promted to press "any key", panic and ask where it is. Afterwards its a meandering course of selecting where to put windows and to format or not. I would recommend a format. Its goes through the motions like my girlfriend, taking its time while you get impatient. But it keeps you going with the occasional stir of life from a re-boot and some pointless messages about how its better for you sticking with it. You enter time and date(certain dells and windows cds will ask for a valid key), and then its a simple matter of getting settled in and downloading the nessicary drivers from dell.

krazy_8s wrote:
    If you can sign up to this site then you can install windows. Assuming you have a cd, press f12 on startup and select boot from cd. When promted to press "any key", panic and ask where it is. Afterwards its a meandering course of selecting where to put windows and to format or not. I would recommend a format. Its goes through the motions like my girlfriend, taking its time while you get impatient. But it keeps you going with the occasional stir of life from a re-boot and some pointless messages about how its better for you sticking with it. You enter time and date(certain dells and windows cds will ask for a valid key), and then its a simple matter of getting settled in and downloading the nessicary drivers from dell.
    Alri, so it should be all good. Is there any link between the rubbishness of this laptop and it's inability to connect to the wireless network in my house? It can pick up the internet connection okay, but it cant go into the shared folders or printers...

Advertisement