Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnose my hardware problem!

Options
  • 27-11-2006 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have bought bits and bobs from the good folks here at boards and assembled them into a PC for myself!....

Problem is, when I power on, I get nada!

Once the PSU is plugged in, a red light on the Saphire mobo illuminates. When I press the power button, I hear a click from the PSU and a white light on the mobo flashes once.

Neither the fan in the PSU nor any other component starts up -- complete silence!

I have double checked everything is seated correctly, but am looking for suggestions on diagnosing the fault / faulty component. I dont have the luxury of spares lying around to diagnose through processes of elimination!

Specs as follows:

Sapphire Radeon Xpress 200P, Socket-939, ATX, ATI RX480+SB400, LAN,SATA, PCI-Ex16
    HYNIX 2 x 1gb RAM (PC2700)
    Nvidia Quadro NVS280
    PSU is one that comes with Chieftec (350w)

Any suggestions appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

PS - Based on my readings on the web so far, I am leaning towards a faulty PSU or a dud mobo. Given that the PSU does give a click as if it is trying to turn on, I am leaning towards a mobo issue, but would appreciate your advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If you hold in the power button do the fans spin? Also, I know you checked everything, but that include the power switch wiring?

nipplenuts wrote:
    If you hold in the power button do the fans spin? Also, I know you checked everything, but that include the power switch wiring?

Nope, fraid not, holding in the button has no effect. I haven't checked the power button, how would I do that?....

I sorta suspect that it is working tho as the PSU does give a click when I press the button?

NOTE: I do have to un-plug the power cord and then plug in again to get the PSU to click a subsequent time when I hit the power button. Eg: it doesn't click with every button press, only the first press after plugging it in!

Cheers,
    Jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You assembled it yourself - are the teeny weeny connectors from the power switch to the mobo on the right way?

nipplenuts wrote:
    You assembled it yourself - are the teeny weeny connectors from the power switch to the mobo on the right way?

I think so, there are just two pins for the power switch and I have made sure that they are connected to the correct set of pins on the mobo.

Cheers,
    Jab

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭burtyburr

Without having spares then getting a solution is going to be a problem.Can you borrow an old pc from work/friend/neighbour?If you could you could swap psu's around and that would really narrow things down.You might also want to clear the CMOS by moving the jumpers to see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭burtyburr

the fact that the mobo flashes once seems to indicate power flowing over the mobo and then stopping.So as long as your mobo is not earthing of the case it sounds like it your psu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Steven_in_Cork

Hi,

yes if you have connect the "tiny" 2pin leads running to the power switch correct.

When you mounted the motherboard did you put the little holders in correct positions
    (like upstands to keep motherboard away from case)?
    Sometimes people forget about them or mount in to many and it is shorten to
    the case. Please look at the holes on your motherboard and see if each mounting
    hole has a space-holder underneath it to raise it a bit from the case.
    Its never flush to the case itself!
    And that those are in the right place, 1 to many in wrong place can prevent starting of computer...

good luck

Advertisement