Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird Boiler problem

Options
  • 27-11-2006 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

I have an outside 2 year old firebird boiler. Last week the boiler would turn on but not fire up. I had a engineer call and he cleaned out the boiler and replaced the nozzle which was covered in soot and all worked out fine. He told me I had the temp gauge on the boiler down to its lowest setting 6o degrees i think from reading the manual this is called a Dual Thermostat switch. So I turned it up to 75 degrees and boiler worked ok that night. However next day it would not turn on. There is a small trip switch on the temp gauge that I had to unscrew the cover off again from reading the manual this seems to be called High temperature limit thermostat reset pin and press a small little reset switch and then the boiler came on. But I am wondering why I would need to do this and do I have a problem waiting to happen. The gauge itself seesm to be able to go to as far as 90 degrees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

mobby wrote:
    I have an outside 2 year old firebird boiler. Last week the boiler would turn on but not fire up. I had a engineer call and he cleaned out the boiler and replaced the nozzle which was covered in soot and all worked out fine. He told me I had the temp gauge on the boiler down to its lowest setting 6o degrees i think from reading the manual this is called a Dual Thermostat switch. So I turned it up to 75 degrees and boiler worked ok that night. However next day it would not turn on. There is a small trip switch on the temp gauge that I had to unscrew the cover off again from reading the manual this seems to be called High temperature limit thermostat reset pin and press a small little reset switch and then the boiler came on. But I am wondering why I would need to do this and do I have a problem waiting to happen. The gauge itself seesm to be able to go to as far as 90 degrees.
    Because you boiler is outside, the water pipes travel underground to the house. There is no gravity flow from the boiler. Once the timeswitch switches off the heating, the waterpump stops. If the burner has been running, the metal is still very hot and continues to heat the surrounding water. If you have the temperature at 75, it will continue to rise to over 90, where the safety thermostat switches off and needs to be reset. Your options are, to lower the temp on the boiler stat, or wire the waterpump from a live supply through a thermostat, which will allow the pump to continue running until the temp drops below 60 or so.
    Jim.
    PS. "The gauge itself seesm to be able to go to as far as 90 degrees" Your car's speedometer goes to 160mph - do you try to get it up to that speed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Thanks Jim well explained. I think i will just leave it at the 60 mark so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

or its possible that the adjustable thermostat is faulty. I had to replace mine a few years ago as it wasn't controlling and kept tripping the high safety stat

Advertisement