Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it wrong to kill insects?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bongo85

I used to catch spiders and throw them out but recently I learnt it's better to just leave them be. Ya only see them when they're hunting. When they're finished they return to their hideout and you don't see them again for another few days.

Anyway, anything that kills flies is good in my books, so just leave em be!

Moths on the other hand really piss me off. Those feckers have like no coordination and just end up flyin at ur head when ur readin a book in the dark with a torch :o Kinda fun to catch though!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's perfectly alright to kill anything female. We are the superior species and therefore can do what we want. Large females should only be killed for food though. Otherwise their numbers would thin out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Flys are the most pointless creature to ever curse the face of the planet, they should all be destroyed. All they do is buzz around annoying the hole of every other animal on the planet and they persistently torment Ethiopians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

think of all the flies you have killed by just driving your car.if you look at the grill youll see what i mean.murderers the hole lot of ye leave the midgets alone lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

subway wrote:
    i cant beleive you people eat honey.
    dont you know your enslaving a beuatiful animal for life etc etc.
    your pertuating the cycle of owneership.
    we dont own animals - let them be free etc etc.
    and fight some corporations while your at it.
    they kill so many insects....

ya hippy!!!

its so annoyin no animal eats moths. and i have a fear of them - they always attack me in the middle of the night! KILL THE MOTHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

ya hippy!!!

its so annoyin no animal eats moths. and i have a fear of them - they always attack me in the middle of the night! KILL THE MOTHS.

Lots of birds eat moths... I had a family of blue tits in the garden this summer and all they seemed to eat were moths.

OT... Live and let live... I like bugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

boneless wrote:
    Lots of tits... I like.

i concur :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

boneless wrote:
    Lots of birds eat moths... I had a family of blue tits in the garden this summer and all they seemed to eat were moths.

I dont see as many bummble bees as i used to around my garden. Even fewer butterflys. My own feeling is that their numbers are dropping but i dont know that for sure.
    Now that i think of it, i cant remember the last time i saw a grass hopper or even a frog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭spudster101

Judgin from my windscreen Im definity screwed:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Think of the bee's family, they will close the hive for a day as a mark of respect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

rb_ie wrote:
    I agree, though I do eat meat I avoid killing anything where possible.

Oh dear, that's high-feckin-larious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i remember in primary school, one of the kids reconed an earthworm would die if broken into 7 pieces

everytime he saw one, he would start breaking it and counting till he got seven, then walk off laughing

i often thought - how did the first five pieces know when the sixth piece had been split in too??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

mukki wrote:
    i remember in primary school, one of the kids reconed an earthworm would die if broken into 7 pieces

everytime he saw one, he would start breaking it and counting till he got seven, then walk off laughing

i often thought - how did the first five pieces know when the sixth piece had been split in too??

they had abacuses on those days. nowadays woodlice count them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

julep wrote:
    it's perfectly alright to kill anything that isn't human. we are the superior species and therefore can do what we want. large animals should only be killed for food though. otherwise their numbers would thin out.
    That sounds like a quote from Star Trek tbh.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Every insect that's not a bee or a spider can happily go splat in my book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Natural selection folks. If you're bigger than it, kill it. Lions don't lay restless at night wondering if maybe they shouldn't have killed that zebra. The only problem in our case is conscious thought.

Advertisement