Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Fourms' Forum

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

That is not what I said at all, speding money on foreign clubs and not Irish clubs is clearly taking money away from Irish clubs. I'm sure even someone like you can understand that.
    Let's say someone buys a ticket to their local LOI match. They have a jersey, and some other supporter kit bought.

Do you really see a problem in them buying a hat, or a jersey or something, for their favourite Scottish or English team if they're already supporting their home team?

Do you not think you're being unreasonable in denying a fellow LOI supporter that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

adam_ccfc wrote:
    I'm sick and tired of this country - it's full of the most ignorant, unpatriotic, bandwagon-jumping shower of **** on the planet.

Off you go then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

CuLT wrote:
    Let's say someone buys a ticket to their local LOI match. They have a jersey, and some other supporter kit bought.

Do you really see a problem in them buying a hat, or a jersey or something, for their favourite Scottish or English team if they're already supporting their home team?

Do you not think you're being unreasonable in denying a fellow LOI supporter that?
    Here is what I think about such people. Fair play to them for supporting their own, but why do you feel the need to 'support' another team. It is demeaning and unfortunately it is common. No, it is not unreasonable btw.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wind up merchant. You said down with the LOI, what the **** are you doing. You epitimise everything that is wrong with the foreign football only brigade, people like you make me sick. I'm sure you do 'support' them:rolleyes: :mad:
    :(

You made me cry. i'm sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

CuLT wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the point is that most people DON'T buy any of their LOI club's merchandise, and only buy English/Scottish gear, thus depriving the LOI of money that - if people supported their own - would go into their coffers.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    Off you go then....
    I couldn't. I love MY football team too much.

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the point is that most people DON'T buy any of their LOI club's merchandise, and only buy English/Scottish gear, thus depriving the LOI of money that - if people supported their own - would go into their coffers.
    He doesn't work well with logic.:rolleyes:

adam_ccfc wrote:
    I couldn't. I love MY football team too much.
    Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Here is what I think about such people. Fair play to them for supporting their own, but why do you feel the need to 'support' another team. It is demeaning and unfortunately it is common. No, it is not unreasonable btw.
    um, because they want to maybe?

Blowfish wrote:
    Ah yes what a marvelous reason! Only in Ireland would you find this.

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote:
    Poor excuse. Ever wonder why 90% of Oirish football 'fans' support ManYoo, Sellthick or Liverpool? It's called bandwagon-jumping.

So wanting to support a team is a poor reason for supporting them? Riiiight...

Blowfish wrote:
    So wanting to support a team is a poor reason for supporting them? Riiiight...
    The issue isn't whether or not they want to. Just cause someone 'wants' to murder someone else doesn't make it right. Logic and consideration must enter into it.

Ok, but why do you think it is demeaning?
    adam_ccfc wrote:

I will accept that both of you are saying that supporting a foreign team is demeaning or "wrong", only if you will accept that you are bigots.

I am not going to think any less of either of you for it, I'm not trying to"trick" you; nationalism to the point of hatred is common, if somewhat unpalatable to me personally.

Everyone has their own opinions, as far as I'm concerned as long as nobody is injured or abused as a result of it, then feel free to hate, as unhealthy as I believe it is.

adam_ccfc wrote:
    The issue isn't whether or not they want to. Just cause someone 'wants' to murder someone else doesn't make it right. Logic and consideration must enter into it.
    :rolleyes: So once again its back to, "Irish people shouldn't support non-Irish teams because its not right".

CuLT wrote:

I will accept that both of you are saying that supporting a foreign team is demeaning or "wrong", only if you will accept that you are bigots.

I am not going to think any less of either of you for it, I'm not trying to"trick" you; nationalism to the point of hatred is common, if somewhat unpalatable to me personally.

Everyone has their own opinions, as far as I'm concerned as long as nobody is injured or abused as a result of it, then feel free to hate, as unhealthy as I believe it is.

From Wiki: A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own.

No, I'm not a bigot. I'm not intolerant of others' opinions, I just want people to actually think about WHY they support a foreign team rather than just doing it cause everyone else does. THINK.

CuLT wrote:

Of course it is demeaing, it is as if the Irish side aren't good enough. But I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand.

Blowfish wrote:
    :rolleyes: So once again its back to, "Irish people shouldn't support non-Irish teams because its not right".
    It isn't right, how many French, Spanniards, English support Irish football? They support their own leagues like the Oirish Brigade should do, but they are too busy glory hunting and bandwagoning jumping whilst being brainwashed that english football is some how the 'ultimate'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

adam_ccfc wrote:
    lol

Who do you LOI heads think you are,telling people what team they should support.If a lad wants to support a team from Mongolia thats fine with me its his choice.

The FAI/LOL is a joke IMO,I am a sports fan and I do read about the LOL and its in a state at the moment,they had a play off game last week and nobody knows what was at stake.Your best players & managers run of to the UK at the drop of a hat.

Instead of giving the whole "buy Irish" argument why don't you lads try to sell us on the Eircom League.It may not win anybody over but it must be better than the old support Irish clubs because they are Irish argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I won't give you the satisfaction, if you are not a wum you should have your mental health checked.

I was going to engage in a debate with you, but after that mangled sentence I decided if I wanted to hear noise from an ar*ehole I'd just increase my Guinness and beans intake.

Dub13 wrote:
    Who do you LOI heads think you are,telling people what team they should support.If a lad wants to support a team from Mongolia thats fine with me its his choice.

The FAI/LOL is a joke IMO,I am a sports fan and I do read about the LOL and its in a state at the moment,they had a play off game last week and nobody knows what was at stake.Your best players & managers run of to the UK at the drop of a hat.

Instead of giving the whole "buy Irish" argument who don't you lads try to sell us on the Eircom League.It may no win anybody over but it must be better than the old support Irish clubs because they are Irish argument.
    You, quite simply, are an absolute disgrace. You call yourself a sports fan! Why not go and do something about it to hepl the situation of our game!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

This thread is so not a Feedback thread anymore, can we move it to The Thuderdome? Pwetty pwease?

It isn;tright, how many French, Spanniards, English support Irish football? They support their own leagues like the Oirish Brigade should do, but they are too busy glory hunting and bandwagoning jumping whilst being brainwashed that the english football is some how the 'ultimate'.
    ffs, by supporting any football team you are supporting a sport that originated...in England. You are "taking money away" from Irish sports. "If you were a true fan" you would be supporting Irish sports, "and it would actually mean something to you". Its just not right...

adam_ccfc wrote:
    From Wiki: A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own.

No, I'm not a bigot. I'm not intolerant of others' opinions, I just want people to actually think about WHY they support a foreign team rather than just doing it cause everyone else does. THINK.
    From the Oxford English Dictionary (which by purchasing took food out of the mouths of Irish dictionary makers obviously): One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
    Now, both of you adhere perfectly to this defintion. Your only logical reason for not supporting Scottish teams is because they're Scottish. I honestly believe both of you are taking the mick.
    Of course it is demeaing, it is as if the Irish side aren't good enough. But I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand.
    Someone like me? I guess, I don't even follow soccer.

Blowfish wrote:
    ffs, by supporting any football team you are supporting a sport that originated...in England. You are "taking money away" from Irish sports. "If you were a true fan" you would be supporting Irish sports, "and it would actually mean something to you". Its just not right...
    That is total bull**** and is devoid of any sense. You are pathetic.

CuLT wrote:
    From the Oxford English Dictionary (which by purchasing took food out of the mouths of Irish dictionary makers obviously): One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
    Now, both of you adhere perfectly to this defintion. Your only logical reason for not supporting Scottish teams is because they're Scottish. I honestly believe both of you are taking the mick.

Someone like me? I guess, I don't even follow soccer.
    You have no appreciation for football seen as you have no interest in it, you simply can not comprehend.

That is total bull**** and is devoid of any sense. You are pathetic.
    I used exactly the same argument as you, and even quoted you, so yes I agree, its bs...

You, quite simply, are an absolute disgrace. You call yourself a sports fan! Why not go and do something about it to hepl the situation of our game!

So if I go to a few LOL games it will sort out the state the Irish domestic game is in,tell me how I can help as I just may do it after I watch Match Of the Day (00:40 BBC,just a little plug for my beloved English Premier League).

So how am I a disgrace and not a sports fan...?

• Advertisement

This thread is so not a Feedback thread anymore, can we move it to The Thuderdome? Pwetty pwease?

Please
    Please
    Please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement