Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid fuel backboiler & UFH

Options
  • 27-11-2006 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Asked this in another forum ("green issues") but maybe here's more appropriate.

I'm building a new house, and want to install geothermal heating but also a solid fuel stove with back boiler.

Will a back boiler work with underfloor heating? Are there any potential risks involved in this set-up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 markdowling

I can't help you but share some of your issues.
    I'm extending our house on a site just under an acre and want to change out the Oil burner. What kind of space do you need for the geo thermal?

I want to put a log burner in as opposed to a pellet as I'm not sure about the current and future dependibility of the pellet supply. I live in Wicklow and am toying with the idea of buying an acre or two to grow some trees for future use. Thats if i can get land for the right price.

Under floor heating is tipped by many as the way forward so I also would like to at least paritally connect it to the burner if possible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

You can go for the borehole geothermal, which won't take up much space, but is more expensive.

Dunno the exact area required, but just under an acre is plenty of space for the horizontal version. The soild type is an important factor, so boggy ground is important, or else teh same area as your percolation, if applicable.

You're right about wood pellet proces, I believe they are at a discount now, plus there's only one or two suppliers on the island. As a direct substitute to oil for home fuel, they'll pretty much increase in line with oil prices, IMO.

The potential issue with back boiler to UFH is the extremes of temperature attached to UFH - you may end up with a sauna upstairs! Also some sort of valve may be required to connect the two systems, but I'm just not au fait with the set-up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I was considering putting in a Stanley Range with boiler as a backup with my UFH, and someone in Waterford Stanley recommended www.systemlink.ie for connection advice, might be worth trying them to see if they do connections/advice to backboilers too.. Didn't end up getting a boiler range, just the dry cooker, as my UFH installer said it would be a waste of money, and he was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gugán

You cannot use the U.F.H. with any other heating system. If you are definate on puttting in another system, you could consider puttin 2/3 radiators in certain areas which maybe colder- halls/sunrooms etc.

Gug&#225 wrote: »
    You cannot use the U.F.H. with any other heating system. If you are definate on puttting in another system, you could consider puttin 2/3 radiators in certain areas which maybe colder- halls/sunrooms etc.
    :confused:

UFH needs a flow temprature of approx 40-50 deg, this is much lower than radiators which needs approx 80 deg. Any heat source that is capable of providing sufficient water @ 40 deg will do...

Multiple heat sources can be connected to a buffer tank which can be used to run the UFH

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Gug&#225 wrote: »

Can you explain what you mean by any other system? Is it that you cannot use wood pellet or oil with UFH? Only Geo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jones085

The problem you have is that you are talking about two diffrent types of heat. High heat (60-90 deg) and Low (35-50).
    It's best and simplist to keep the two sepeate. Geothermal works well with underfloor because they work at the same temps 35-45 degs. Where as boilers and cookers etc will work best with Hot water and rads 60-90degs.
    The problem comes when trying to tie the two toghether. Boilers need to be blended down to meet the requirments of underfloor. And geothermal tends to need boosting when meeting hot water requirments.
    You can use a buffer to assist in these processes but my advice would be this. Geo and cooker. Size and use geo to do the heating and let the cooker heat the hot water or help the geo heat the hot water. But leave it out of the heating. Unless you intertie it with the geo inteligently and underize the geo. This enables you to get maximum payback from the geo and use the boiler to help when demands are not met by geo.
    Avoid back boilers if you can there just a headache allround. No control and you need a good heat sink.

Regards
    Simon

Advertisement