Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voter Registration and the "Vote Early and Often" ethic

Options
  • 27-11-2006 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Todays Indo (reg required) runs an article about how the current register is about 300,000 out of whack.
    Tens of thousands of voters are missing from the register across the country, especially in cities where up to one-third of the electorate is not on the lists.

But in other areas, particularly along the border, the statistics show there are far too many voters on the register.

Now call me a conspiracy theorist but might it suit certain parties that the numbers are so inaccuate? After all who will spot that fact you are registered to vote in three locations in say Cavan/Monaghan or Louth?

On a wider note should the whole register be taken outside and burnt after the next election? I think so, start with a clean sheet and when new registering begins it must be done so that every voter has a unique number which can be checked in a database so that its simply not possible to be registered in two locations.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Definitely start again with a new one. Should have done so at the same time as the census.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

You should have to apply using a PPS number, that would cut out the confusion and a central body rather than local councils to look after it as in the north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, it's a joke. I'm quite sure I could get to vote in both Cork City constituencies were I not an honest citizen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

there is no voting register in holland.

if you are eligible to vote, the city council where you are registered as a resident will send you a voting card in the post

Advertisement