Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my mouthbord work with a XFX 7950GX2 graphics card?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Found this: http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp

Dunno how old the list is/how new your mobo is, tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

mouthbord :D

There is confirmation here that it works plus a few other places on Google even though Asrock mention nothing in the bios updates just make sure you have the latest bios before plugging it in.

Have you actually purchased this card yet, you are aware the GeForce 8 series is out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SnazzBot

I know about the GeForce 8 series but I don't what to get Vista and the only thing that makes the GeForce 8 series worth the extra moneyis Dx10 that you can only get on Vista so I would see it as a weast.

And I have not bought it yet. And thank you.

Ah no that isn't the case the only thing Vista does is enable Direct X 10 support the GeForce 8800GTX still beats the pants off the 7950GX2 in Direct-X 9 & OpenGL plus it has better image quality to top it off as well.

Your crazy going for the 7950GX2 over a 8800GTX even if you never install Vista.

(Keep in mind though the 8800GTX needs a 500W PSU minimum to work.)

• Advertisement

Thats not ture you can run the BFG Technology 8800GTS with only a 400w one and the 8800GTX s are starting at 590euro. where the 7950GX2 is around 440 Euro.

Well what one would you put your monly on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I think if i was in the market for a new video card i would get the 8800GTS or GTX if you can afford it. Picture quality is ment to be better. I would also get the x1950xt before i would buy the 7950GX2 due to picture quality.

As BardCharlie says the 7950GX2 isn't worth it at this stage it's really just a 7900GT SLI setup stuck together so you are reliant on driver updates to support games. Whereas the 8800GTX is a single GPU so you will never have to wait for a driver update to make games actually take advantage of both GPU's like with the 7950GX2.

The 8800GTS is slower than the 8800GTX as such has lower power requirements but I would not risk it on a 400w PSU no matter what BFG say as that could be a bare bones system. The more hardware in the system the more power it will drain.

The 8800GTX it is simply better in every possible department.

Ok I am not geting that one now. I think I will go with the X1950XTX.

What one would you say it the best for around 300 and will they need a 500w ps like the 8800 do? :D

Power requirements for an X1950XT are somewhere between 400W+ depends on the load in the system like how many hard drives you have etc.

For about €300 the best is the X1950XT 256MB edition, Komplett are sold out but another place that has them at the moment is OcUK going for €276 you may as well get a better PSU while you're at it.

• Advertisement

I ment 443 Euro I was thinking in £ sorry. Well I have a 480w PSU will that do?
    Custom PC sayed the BFG would run on 400w
    Also I want to run Linux and I here ATI do bad drivers for Linux are they that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SnazzBot wrote:
    Well I have a 480w PSU will that do?
    With PSU's, its make really comes into play, as a sh|te make of PSU may not handle a new card (speaking from experience: the PSU caused it to freeze on me, when I was playing my BF2:()

Well its a Tagan which is a good make.

I think I will go for 8800GTS as its chaper then the 8800GTX and ATI have bad drivers for linux.

What 8800GTS do you think I should go for?

Doesn't matter which they are all identical (they only difference is the bundle like a game thrown in) go for the cheapest one possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Your PSU should be fine. And now that i know your going linux well then your best getting nvidia for sure. Would love to buy a 8800GTS my self at the moment but i dont play much games so it would be total waste.

I went for the xfx 8800GTS as my frinnd has a xfx card and sayed there a good make and the 8800 seems to do the game and Linux for me and the GTX is a lot of muney.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=495289

Is the one I went for don't what the game but it will be a good way to test it I gess.

Thinks for all your help now all I have to deside is Wii are Ps3 but that is for anuther day. :D

Thanks all, All the best.

Advertisement