Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about softmodding

Options
  • 28-11-2006 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I've just heardof this whole soft modding thing and I have a few questions

1: Is it safe? (could it damage my xbox in any way?)

2: I've heard it can play any type of video file (divx/xvid/etc). true?

3: I have a 400GB external HDD, if I plug it in via USB adapter can I play files off it?

4: Whats the best way to go about it? I've found these 2 browsing the net:
    Option 1
    Option 2

Option 2 seems cheaper but I'm not sure my memory devices will work.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Can no one help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

hi chalky, for my softmod I used a variation on option 1 you listed. The Splinter Cell exploit to be exact using the standard xbox memory card. To do it that way though you need access to another modded box, firstly to ftp the exploit onto the modded box, and then to load it from there onto the card for use in your unmodded box. Not sure about the second option you listed, it looks pretty similiar except using a flash card. Not too familiar with that type of card. An Action Replay card will also achieve the same effect, I've read a lot of threads though complaining of corruptted saves using this.

Anyway, think the best way depends on what equipment you already have. There's also the hotswap method if you've no cards or access to a modded box. That was the first one I tried, couldn't get it to work on mine though it seems from looking at different forums to be quite common and successful. It's not without risks though such as damaging your xbox drive physically.

For resources, tutorials etc I'd highly recommend http://www.xbox-scene.com/ . Very active community and as long as you're prepared to do a bit of groundwork people are more than willing to help you out.
    As far as damaging your box softmodding it, well it's possible. You are after all rewriting the contents of the drive (making a backup of the original as well). However there are some very decent tutorials as well as installers out there such as Krayzies Ndure Installer. As long as you do your homework and follow the steps carefully you should be ok.
    Not sure about hooking up an external drive, haven't seen any threads on it but it's possible someone has done it. I would think you'd probably need a chipped box at least for doing this though I could be wrong.
    You can however upgrade the stock drive to something bigger once you've successfully modded your box. Plenty of tutorials out there on this as well. Anyway for me at least that part is still theory as that's what I'm currently trying to do ;)

Finally yeah the modded box is sweet, I haven't come across a video format yet that it has a problem with. Currently using XBMC as my dashboard and the player that comes bundled here is excellent, intuitive and non intrusive interface that will happily take on anything you throw at it, correctly identify and display subtitle files for the correct film etc .

Best of luck!

Thanks Damoken. I've ordered the usb cable off ebay and I got a copy of Mechassault in Game (although I think it might be the wrong version - laser etching on the back of the disc says "MS02308L")

check extravision or chartbusters to see if you can rent one of the exploitable games (not sure if they still rent xbox games, a while since I've been in). Alternatively ring around the various game shops to see if they have a second hand copy of any of them in, that's how I got a memory card ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Bu11et_Proof

I used the hot sawpping method and it went like a dream, i didnt want to spend out on all the equipment.

heres a link

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263

The main thing is to read everything a couple of times to make sure your not missing anything.

it installs unleashx as your dashboard which i didnt like ,now i have XBMC its the business you can even play files from your pc's harddrive through XBMC.

• Advertisement

Hey, that involves taking out the hard drive doesn't it? (sorry, didn't have time to read through that link, I will on sunday though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

yeah, its easy.

if you know someone with a modded xbox that can create a usb card for you.

answering your questions first
    q1 yes and no. if you have a v1.0 or 1.1 xbox it can corupt the hard drive and you will need to hard mod it to solve the problem, but most of the time it works fine.

q2. yes it can play any type of file but you need to install xbmc which cant be downloaded leagaly as it is compiled with the xbox sdk. you will need to go onto the xbin irc chat to get it or bit torrent has a few copys floating around. the most recent copy is 2.0.1

q3. no, you can plug it into your pc and set up a share from it, but if currently cant read formats that require large dll to run, also if its not fatx it wont read it at all. you can however read usb keys.

q4. the easyest way is to buy splinter cell as the classic version of it works for the mod too and only cost about €8 on ebay. you dont need action replay but you do need a usb addapter for you xbox. and a friend who had an modded xbox that can provide you with the instalation files. if your stcuk i could send you a usb key with all the files on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bigduff

easiest way to softmod:-

grab an action replay cable and mem card,

get a copy of SID or Krazies NDure exploit,

get a copy of the original splinter cell (any will work)

follow exploit instructions

hook up xbox to pc using crossover cable,

bingo

My dashboard version is 5960 so from what I understand I'll have to downgrade it to an earlier version. I briefly attempted this but I couldn't seem to telnet into the xbox (could be to do with my rather poor knowledge of telnet).

coadyj, thanks for the offer, I may take advantage of it when the time comes.

chalky, if you are using the splinter cell or other game exploits your dash is fine, in fact if you didn't have 5960 you'd have to upgrade to it for them to work -> http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/xbox-softmod-tutorials/5484-microsoft-dashboard-details-softmodding.html

Here's a decent tutorial for using Krayzies Installer http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/xbox-softmod-tutorials/20179-how-softmod-krayzies-ndure-installer-1-1-1-a.html, contains useful links to download the exploits as well as installer plus upgrade. The installer is the one I've used for 5 different hard drives so far (using Splinter Cell), extremely easy to use and reliable. Haven't had a problem on any of them.

Not sure about SID, read some bad press on it over at xbox-scene about it wrecking peoples hard drives, could be just fanboy crap, your choice which you use in the end :)

By the way, was in Xtravision today, they still rent xbox games so might be worth your while checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 phonemonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Just curious.....

Was about to post an update. Splinter cell arrived in the post yesterday. I have the memory stick set up as an xbox memory card but I haven't got around to trying the softmod yet. might give it a go this evening. I'll let you know how it goes.

Just managed to install evolution x on my xbox. Gonna try and get XBMC now. Thanks for the help everyone :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sorry for jumping in here guys, but which is better, chipping your exbox or doing the softmod on it. I was looking at the modchipsIreland website, and one method is €75 and the other is €50, but I am just wondering which is the better option to go with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have the softmod and no problems at all with it!! There is a chap on Adverts in the Services offered doing the softmod for €30!! He done great work with my 2 non-used Xboxes!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Thanks for that, I check out adverts.ie so.

Advertisement