Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Gym membership

Options
  • 28-11-2006 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

I recently joined crunch fitness in Temple Bar, but as I might be moving to Carlow, I will need to cancel membership.

It was a €100 joining fee and €70 a month, I have paid for the first half month.
    If I cancel can they come after me for the full annual amount(€700), surely they are relatively happy with the membership fee and no member using it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You really need to check the contract you signed.

They may allow you to give one month notice of cancelling, or they may say that you signed up for a year so must pay for the year.

Crunch are not the nicest bunch to deal with. I had hassles with them before, and had to take them to the small claims court. Of course, I won. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

ah feck, thats not what I wanted to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

How are you paying them DD? Cancel it and obviously you are moving so a nice little return to sender saying "not known at this address" should put an end to it.

Yea, I was thinking that, I asked the bank, and they can cancel it no bothers. Its just the legal action I would be worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Nah, you'll be grand. Just cancel the DD and tell them you are emigrating. You wont be at the same address anyway so you're grand ! Give the gym the written notice and tell your bank not to process any further DD's.

FYI - Trying to follow debtors to new addresses is expensive work so they wont bother their arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Stinkerbelle

I was a member of Crunch in Dun Laoghaire, cancelled the direct debit with the bank. Received one letter about two weeks later telling the DD was cancelled and to get in touch. Haven't heard anything since, that was about 3 months ago. I sent the letter back marked 'not at this address'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

See if you can sell the membership on to someone else.

gillo wrote:
    See if you can sell the membership on to someone else.

Yea was thinking that, alot of work tho, think I will see if they chase me if I just stop the DD. Thx for the feedback guys

Advertisement