Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Drivers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ninty9er wrote:
    Not necessarily true. Lose your 1st after a week and get your 2nd
    No you don't, you get a replacement first provisional. It might be your second physical licence, but it still counts as a first provisional as far as being accompanied is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just cause you see so many cars on the M50 with L-plates does not mean they are learner drivers? Did it not occur to you that maybe these people have teenage sons, daughters or wifes, husbands who use the car for lessons ?

Dont be so quick to judge. We started somewere and im sure you broke a few rules in your time.

I've been in cars on the motorway loads of times that had L-plates up but were been driven by people with full licences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Stark wrote:
    I've been in cars on the motorway loads of times that had L-plates up but were been driven by people with full licences.

that's technically illegal. if you share a car with a learner driver you should remove the L-plates before you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm not sure if that's true in Ireland. I thought so myself but people have told me that's only the case in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

that's technically illegal. if you share a car with a learner driver you should remove the L-plates before you use it.

Yea, I do not believe this is true in Ireland. Certainly nothing in the Rules of the Road to say this. It is true in the UK and Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Woodsy

I recently passed my test (I'm now fully licensed). I was driving on my second provisional for about 6 months. I found the attitude of full licensed drivers shocking. Cutting across me illegally at junctions, tailgating etc.

Anyway passed my test - took the 'L' Plates down, and now hardly anyone has cut me off, tailgated me etc. I find this shocking as i drive exactly as before.

Also as for driving on Motorways; i didn't get any testing on a motorway (or a dual carriageway); so how am i suddenly more qualified to drive on them. Motorways are safer not because there are less learners but because there is no oncoming traffic; less likely to get blinded by headlights and the road surface is superior.

Anyone driving on the old N Routes i'm sure will agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

r3nu4l wrote:
    Alcohol, bad roads, poor lighting and speed are the problems and this has nothing to do with the type of license you have!

Bad roads and poor lighting are not the problem. Thay may compound it but you are supposed to drive within your limits, your vehicles limits and within the limits of the surface you are driving on. If you are driving on a bad road at 100KM/h you are the problem not the road!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

In this day and age, "bad" roads should belong in the history books.

The whole freakin' system is out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

why do I see so many on the M50 and why are none of them ever stopped by the Gardai?
    Just because a vehicle displays an L plate, that doesn't mean the driver is a learner. It may be also used by another driver. I regularly see posts here saying it is illegal for a fully licenced driver to drive with L plates but no one ever provides any proof. I've never seen anything about it in any of the Road Traffic Acts/Statutory Instruments.
    Bluetonic wrote:
    All provisional licence holders, must display L-plates to the front and rear of the vehicle they are driving at all times, regardless of how many provisional licence you've held.

Can't believe people don't know the rules of the road.
    Apologies for being pedantic Bluetonic, but there is no requirement for a provisional driver to display L plates in vehicle categories A,A1,M and W. ;)

Provisional licence holders who have held a provisional licence prior to the 12th August 1985 are exempt from the accompanied rule.

Advertisement