Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackberry Pearl

• 28-11-2006 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has the pearl. What are your experiences good or bad?
    I'm thinking of switching from meteor to O2 at xmas and picking this up as it looks like one of the best non S60 smartphones around (I hate S60!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 constantin3

We got a couple into the office and I had a play around with one for a few days. I've had an 8700g for about 10 months now and its far better.

Only good thing I found about the Pearl was it was slim and light. Think it depends on if you like the navigation on the device. Some people like it, some don't. Might be worth grabbing one to test in an O2 shop for a few mins.

Hope that helps :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Its very slim alright and if you're used to "normal" blackberry operation its a bit different - no more scroll wheel.

Its definitely too slim for me though..

As an aside the pearl continues like the 7130 in that they no longer ship with a usb charger but rathe with an charger that has the cable integrated. Pity realy because my own BB charger also charges the DS, my k750i and ipod using their respective cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

moved from the nokia 6230i to a blackberry pearl, its a good phone, the battery life isnt as long on the BB and the instant delivery of email is great as is using skype on it. still not used to the qwerty keyboard for text/emails after using nokias since 1998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

I have been using the pearl now for 2 months and is without a doubt the best phone I have ever had. We all got em in work and they are the best. Its like getting an extra few hours in the day and if ya work from home you can head off and do whatever you like and still have access to email and reply instantly.

Get one and get it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Best of the Blackberrys I've seen so far. Push email on a more "mobile phone like" device. Shame it's not 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

I've heard from someone that these also have WIfi, is this true?

There is NO wifi on the 8100/Pearl.

pity as theat would be a class feature in them, Also can you load skype on them as a previous poster said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I got my Pearl and activated my Blackberry tariff today. I want to be able to receive my pop3 mail via BIS but also receive work email via redirector. i rang customer service and the data team and they told me i can only do 1 or the other.
    Can someone tell me if this is correct and if not what do i need to do to get both up and running otherwise i wasted a lot of money signing up to blackberry for the year

You can setup a few POP3 accounts via www.o2mail.ie.

As for your redirects, this wouldn't have anything to do with O2. This would be something you would setup on your server for the email you want to forward. Just point it to your @o2mail.ie address.

• Advertisement

are you telling me I can only collect o2.mail and if I can get my old pop account forwarded to the new O2 happy days and if not Im screwed?

I'm not saying that. You have a free @o2mail.ie account that you can setup. You can add other POP3 accounts (i.e. eircom, oceanfree, whatever) by logging in at www.o2mail.ie (if you've never used this, ring data support on 1850601740 and they'll setup your other POP3 accounts for you).

O2 don't look after any forwarding .. you'll do that with whoever provides the email address that you want to forward.

Hope that's clearer.

thats not so bad so then, all they are really missing is this WIFI option :( does anyone know are Vodafone going to Release one soon?

Why not get a 3G Blackberry if it's speed that's the concern?

nah this would do just want mail and little intenet, but would be nice to have WIFI, 3G unlimited would be sweet tough

3G unlimited = O2 Blackberry tarriff on a 3G Blackberry device. No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I figured out how to do both

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Can you setup imap accounts (postfix/courier) to push mail to the Blackberry or do you have to forward it to the o2 email address ? How does BIS actually work ?

@voxpop
    You can setup IMAP via www.o2mail.ie

Ok getting closer and closer to spending da cash now on this deal.. Just wondering have many more people bought these?? and do you like it?

Thanks

• Advertisement

also how many mails can you store on the 8100 blackberry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

Yes, you can have both Re-Director and BIS on a Blackberry. However as Ciaran pointed out, O2 don't have visibility on your Re-Director setup

Re-Director needs to be loaded either to your desktop or server (the programme comes on the Blackberry Desktop Software). The big problem with this is that your PC needs to be connected to the internet with your inbox open at all times. If you shut down the PC you will receive hundreds of mails from RIM that say "Do not delete this mail, it is used to carry mails from your desktop to your Blackberry" Really annoying.

You can log onto www.o2mail.ie at anytime and add up to 10 POP accounts that you wish for the Blackberry to collect your mails from. There is no longer an inbox size limit on this site but your o2mail.ie email address no longer has a storage capacity, in fact, your emails will be automatically deleted from the handheld after 30 days.

O2mail.ie now can integrate Imap accounts. The previous version couldn't but you will need to know your stuff in order to integrate such an account.

O2 do not decide whether or not a Blackberry has WiFi, this is the manufacturers decision, you can relay your comments to Research in Motion via their website www.blackberry.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whitty81

Hi,

I have a pearl and I am trying to connect it to a volvo by bluetooth. The car doesn't seem to recognise the phone. I was wondering has anybody had any smiliar problems?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

I have the new S40 with a bluetooth car kit. My pearl works crap on this. This problem is well known all over the net. I just use a bluetooth headset but the sound quality is rubbish, I be you are getting messages on the phone saying its waiting for the car kit and when you do manage to pair them they just dont work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

I'm sure there are threads on Bluetooth and their compatibilities. Bluetooth is a single name for 4 different systems, developed seperately but with the same intention in mind.

Thinks Video tape and think Betamax and VHS (although this is much more extreme than Bluetooth)

Advertisement