Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning Sickness

Options
  • 28-11-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

hi i'm almost 7 weeks pregnant and while i know morning sickness is part of pregnancy i'm not coping too well.

luckily i don't throw up but its the nausea that gets me, i seem to have it all day every day and only when i get a chance to lie down does it pass. i have tried crystalised ginger, peppermint tea, ginger tea, ginger nut biscuits, dry crackers, glasses of milk but the idea of eating anything just turns my stomach.

my main question is does anyone have any suggestions on what types of food lessen it and if the baby will suffer in any way seeing as i can't eat my usual foods.

thanking you

ellie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

What got me through my morning sickness was having a couple of Nice biscuits on my locker for when i woke up in the morning, Ate 2/3 of them and relaxed for a few minutes, seemed to help settle my stomach. Worth a try but every one is different. I couldnt stomach anything else forst thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi ellie,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Well, when I was pregnant, I had morning sickness on and off that lasted the first 7 months of the pregnancy, and generally speaking, I found overly sweet foods would turn my stomach. Ginger nut biscuits, dry toast and horlicks were my staple diet for the first while. If you are worried about your baby not getting the right nutrients, you can take a multi-vitamin supplement, along with your folic acid. I used to take Pregnacare tablets when I was pregnant, they are loaded with all the nutrients you need. A 7 week old foetus is not that demanding on your body, so try not to worry too much. Make sure and consult your GP/Midwife/Obstetrician before starting any supplements though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, first thing in the morning i'm having jacobs cream crackers and a glass of milk, mid morning i'm having some fruit, i have soy desserts (vanilla) and oat cakes on hand as i find that bland food thats mostly dry seems to do the trick, not sure if i could cope for 7 months but will take whatever comes my way with this pregnancy (its my 2nd the first ended at 5 and a half weeks). have a doctors appointment this afternoon so i'm sure she will tell me its all normal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi and Congrats!

You could also try acupressure bands. Sea Bands I think they're called (oops am I allowed to name the brand?). You should be able to pick them up at any chemist.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I hope all goes well for you ellibn.
    Myself the only thing that helped with my morning sickness was to get sick.
    I would leave a shot of orangejuice beside the bed wake up drink it and by the time I was half way dressed I would end up throwing up.
    The orangejuice was just enough to make sure I got rid of the bile in my stomach and hid most of the taste on the way out. /shudder

Once I had thrown up I found 20 mins later I could have a cup of tea and some toast and I didn't get sick for the rest of the day.

On a morning that I didnt driink the juice and throw up ( totally my bodys natural behaviour I never took anything to make my self sick or stuck a findger down my neck) I spent the day queasy and mini retching all day and unable to eat anything :(

Thankfully for me in both my pregnancies while the morning sickness started at week 5 it ended before week 20.

Morning sickness is your body getting ride of the side products of the new materials your body is making for the first time as your biochemical process changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I've a seven week old DD and had morning sickness every day up until the day I delivered her. On my 2 DS my morning sickness disappeared by week 20. Very little helped to be honest - ginger ale was ok and tuc crackers. My GP recommended trying to have some protein (egg, bacon etc) as early in the day as possible - again I didn't find it helped much to be honest. The oine thing that got me through feeling so crap was that pregnancy hormones cause the morning sickness, so I always took it as a good sign that i felt sick - daft I know but it did help. Best of luck, it's worth it all in the end

AD

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi elliebn

My wife isnow 7 months preggers and I have to say she had it hard with sickness for about the first 16 weeks...very little helps unfortunetley....but most times itwill pass. Mywife found that when she was feeling really unwell a small amount of something sweet wouldjust tae the edge off it....maybe like a Cubba Chump....

The one thing she did find was she was alot better not allowing herself to get hungry....that was very important...even if she just ate a plain cheese sandwich it would help.

Anyway elliebn...best of luck with babog.....its a great time..Enjoy!!

Kaiser

Advertisement