Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic tablet offer from Aldi

Options
  • 28-11-2006 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm just wondering what people thought of this offer from Aldi.

http://www.aldi.ie/ (sunday special buys section)

A graphic tablet for €40. it seems to be a decent size and I've already heard a decent review from someone over at the b3ta boards. Anyone here have any opinions on it?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

thats a great price for such a big tablet. I wonder tho about the quatily, but for €40...

It does look a bit bulky tho, my desk is too small and I just bought a WACCOM tablet a while back.

EDIT: These guys seem to be supplying the PC and the tablet and I'd imagine most of the other hardware to Aldi. A quick google search seems to suggest its quite good apart from a few driver issues that some people were having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

i got one of them aldi ones a while back and i have given up using it...the pen lost its connection every 10 mins and the accuracy was way off....just back to using my good aul' optical mouse now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

General newbie graphic tablet question : do these things display the image from the screen on the tablet itself? I was under the impression that they didn't (although I've never actually seen one used, so I'm not), but this picture seems to suggest that it does?

http://www.aldi.ie/images/data_product/1781897913455c6d65e5c61.jpg

Want one of these things regardless, but if I found out they do display the image I'll make a point of buying it sooner. Maybe not this one though, surly accuracy is the whole point of these things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hummm i'd seriously question its quality, for what they are used for, i wouldn't by one that half works. i've heard reports its not very sensitive...why buy one otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Goodshape wrote:
    General newbie graphic tablet question : do these things display the image from the screen on the tablet itself? I was under the impression that they didn't (although I've never actually seen one used, so I'm not), but this picture seems to suggest that it does?

As far as I know Tablets don't show the images on them, if these graphic tablets are of a half decent quality I will definitely be looking into getting one.

Sinus is yours the same model thats on sale at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Goodshape wrote:

http://www.aldi.ie/images/data_product/1781897913455c6d65e5c61.jpg

Want one of these things regardless, but if I found out they do display the image I'll make a point of buying it sooner. Maybe not this one though, surly accuracy is the whole point of these things.

That Aldi picture is misleading. For that price there is no chance it'll display the image. For that you would need something like a Wacom Cintiq:

http://www.wacom-europe.com/int/products/cintiq/index.asp?lang=en

but they are serious money, over two grand I think. Most graphics tablets have a flap that allow you to place a sheet of paper underneath to effectively trace over it though.

I have a wacom and I also tried a friends aldi/lidl tablet. In my opinion there is no comparison. The Wacom is a far superior product. The feel of the pen, the responsiveness, everything is better on the Wacom.

They are more expensive though, with the cheapest Wacom starting at €99 for an A6 size (shop around, i could be wrong). With this being half the price though it could be worth a shot.

I do find you get what you pay for with tablets though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

cosgrove80 wrote:
    That Aldi picture is misleading.
    Yea, figured as much. €40 for what is essentially a second monitor, and touch-screen too? I could dream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

There's also the Wacom Volito2 for around €45 or so, which you can get from the internet. It's by no means fantastic and it's very small, but it's very well built, reliable and a great beginner tablet. And it doesn't need bloomin' batteries for the pen like the cheap ones do.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

As cosgrove80 says, if you want a quality tablet, you're just going to have to lay down the cash unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

I'm not hardcore into graphics yet but I feel that at the price they're asking it's worth getting. If it's shte it is covered by a three year warranty. Just take it back and get my money back I guess.

That said if somebody could point me in the direction of a solid working Wacom one for around the E100 mark I'd consider that also......hmmmm. Choices, Choices everywhere and not much coin to spend.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Argos have a pretty nifty one... I bought mine there at the start of the year... its sometimes a bit of pot luck as to the exact make and model but they generally do match for quality... and of course you always have their 14day money back guarantee...
    I think the Irish shops have the x-pen... its a very good starter and I think it comes in at the same price as the aldi one, its not a Wacom by any means but for the price is very very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

can anyone recommend where to buy a intuos 3 ? around the a5 size would do, either online or a shop cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

can anyone recommend where to buy a intuos 3 ? around the a5 size would do, either online or a shop cheers.

www.wacom.com

they have an online shop i have bought several tablets there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

thanks, didnt think about the manufacturer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 incontinentia

ummm, guys,
    what about this

I don't think that model has the pressure sensitivity that the Wacom Graphire and more expensice models have. Does the Aldi model have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

http://www.wacom-shop.net/cgi-bin/wacom.storefront/EN/Product/CTE&2D440&2FS&2DCL

From the manufacturer, it's €10 cheaper than Peats, which is €109.

Didn't check shipping though, worth a look. I have a graphire 3, and love it, and the Graphire 4 just looks even better! :D

[edit]
    Ok shipping, Peats is charging €14 and Wacom are charging €15, so its still cheaper direct from Wacom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

cheaper on komplett.ie i recommend them --

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313013
    89 + 12 an post shipping

mark

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The ALDI tablet has 512 levels of pressure sensitivity.
    I've only tested mine briefly - but so far, so good. I only an old Wacom Volito(Original) to compare to - The ALDI tablet has slightly better functionality and is freakin' massive in comparison. Not bad for 40Eur. ;)

Driver ver: 3.12
    Firmware ver: 1.5

• Advertisement

Not bad at all, I hope you have lots of sketching fun with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Did anybody see the piece in PC format where that guy builds his own wacom from a 15" LCD and a tablet?

No mention of price but I might look into it a bit more

edit// found web link http://www.bongofish.co.uk/Wacom/wacom_pt1.html

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

tba wrote:
    Did anybody see the piece in PC format where that guy builds his own wacom from a 15" LCD and a tablet?

No mention of price but I might look into it a bit more

edit// found web link http://www.bongofish.co.uk/Wacom/wacom_pt1.html
    Oh my, that looks like quite a bit of work. I think you'd have to be something of an electronics enthusiast to build one, and there's a million ways to muck it up.

I can build a computer (but who can't, really? Nine or ten pieces of hardware slotted together, not rocket science), but soldering and connectors are a bit beyond me for now (as I've learned in pulling apart various bits of technology, including one unfortunate laptop).

I think I'd prefer to buy one.

Edit: looking at the prices, it would definitely be cheaper f*cking up a few attempts at making one than buying one.

Edit2: Just checked with the only retailer in Ireland that sells the Cintiq series, and there is a grand saving of five euro when ordering from them (€2994.35 as opposed to €2999.01 from the Wacom website).

19_finis.jpg

I'm totally doing this...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

i just got the medion md 41217 which i believe is the one theyre selling in aldi, firstly its riddled with driver problems, the sensitivitys not great and it doesn't work so good in photoshop cs 2, if you google medion graphics tablet you'll find boards upon boards of people having endless trouble with these but if you are gonna get suckered into buying one (as i stupidly was) these sites will help you with drivers patches etc.
    oh and what apears to be a second on the tablet screen is actually a piece of paper that comes with it under the lift up mat.
    seen one of the monitor ones used once *drools*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I use the one from aldi all the time , a graphics tablet is a must for any serious photoshopper. As for this one in particular , never had a single problem , either hardware or software ( i have used older models too) . The pen pressure works perfectly and can be calibrated to your needs . It works perfectly with cs2 , extra setup required whatsoever and as for the sensitivity , well it is clearly capable of a level of accuracy greater than my hand and have never once had a problem with it . Take it from me , its more than you'll ever need.

hope it goes well for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Would it be worth getting one, just for messing around on?
    I'm sure I'd get the hang of it.
    Can't have enough gadgets.
    I may not be very artistic but I am technical by trade.
    Do Aldi still sell them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

City-Exile wrote:
    Would it be worth getting one, just for messing around on?
    I'm sure I'd get the hang of it.
    Can't have enough gadgets.
    I may not be very artistic but I am technical by trade.
    Do Aldi still sell them?

Its a question of which shop and seeing if they are still in stock ... they'll be back again no doubt .. all aldi products seem to do the rounds ... every month or two ..

Advertisement