Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Help

Options
  • 28-11-2006 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi can anyone throw some light on this for me. Looking at getting a broadband package for my house in Applewood in Swords. I have no phone lines so it needs to be wireless. Any one help. I have checked call costs.ie and on previous threads but none are really site specific. Any recommend a provider and have any experiences.

Cheers in advanced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 constantin3

Clearwire offer BB for €30 for the first 6 months and then €50 thereafter for wire free broadband. Take a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I have checked call costs.ie and on previous threads but none are really site specific.
    http://mapviewer.broadband.gov.ie/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Clearwire are alleged to lock you to a 2 year contract, throttle certain traffic etc. Read threads on Clearwire.

Avoid also IBB ripwave. Cable broadband in Dublin should improve, but not sure if reaches Swords. IBB Breeze can be OK. I'm not sure if IBB cover swords.

Digiweb have two wireless products. One called Wireless and the other called Metro (faster with built in VOIP + QOS phone over the wireless). Again I can't say if they are in Swords. You'll have to ring the various suppliers, the website maps tend not to show or accurately reflect wireless availablity.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I posted. I have left it six months as a IBB rep advised saying that they would be in my area approx this length of time and that the breeze package should be available then aswell as ripwave. This is in my opinion my best bet for BB. Had them before and happy with service at different location. Now it is not as if I am in the sticks but they still are not in my area. Now they say my best option from them is Ripwave Plus. I am a bit sceptical of something like this as I dont reckon it will be feasible. Slow connections etc. Does anyone use Ice Broadband in swords. I rang them up and they say that there are a few on my road who have it. The package I would be interested from them is the Home Broadband € 37.99 per month.

Anyone know if this is a good package and if IBB will ever be in my area..

Frustrating as hell as I cannot afford to have a phone line installed due to my obvious concern of her indoors over usage.

Any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I posted. I have left it six months as a IBB rep advised saying that they would be in my area approx this length of time and that the breeze package should be available then aswell as ripwave. This is in my opinion my best bet for BB. Had them before and happy with service at different location. Now it is not as if I am in the sticks but they still are not in my area. Now they say my best option from them is Ripwave Plus. I am a bit sceptical of something like this as I dont reckon it will be feasible. Slow connections etc. Does anyone use Ice Broadband in swords. I rang them up and they say that there are a few on my road who have it. The package I would be interested from them is the Home Broadband € 37.99 per month.

Anyone know if this is a good package and if IBB will ever be in my area..

Frustrating as hell as I cannot afford to have a phone line installed due to my obvious concern of her indoors over usage.

Any help would be appreciated

I will move real close to Applewood, to Sandford Woods, did you go for anything yet, IBB told me Breeze is not available there, which would have been my first choice. Now I dont know what to go for?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Hody wrote:
    I will move real close to Applewood, to Sandford Woods, did you go for anything yet, IBB told me Breeze is not available there, which would have been my first choice. Now I dont know what to go for?!

Ice Broadband said they are in my street but seemingly the service has gotten progressivly worse. I am a bit lost over what to do. And I certainly dont want to get Ripwave. I might just wait it out for a while. Seemingly the mast is on the Tulip Inn but I am told the signal is not strong enough. And I wanna keep away from clearwire and digiweb. Any one else any ideas or suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

Ice Broadband said they are in my street but seemingly the service has gotten progressivly worse. I am a bit lost over what to do. And I certainly dont want to get Ripwave. I might just wait it out for a while. Seemingly the mast is on the Tulip Inn but I am told the signal is not strong enough. And I wanna keep away from clearwire and digiweb. Any one else any ideas or suggestions.

Was so happy with my NTL in Finglas/Glasnevin, but not with the house or the area. Now that we move to Swords I check these boards for IBB, ICE, Clearwire, Digiweb and it seems we are facing a catch22 situation here, even the people with landline based broadband are complaining - no reliable broadband these days?!

Advertisement