Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smithfield

Options
  • 28-11-2006 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

hey,

was driving through smithfield last night and heard a lot of screaming and loads of people running around. Anyone know what happened? It was about 11.30.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Movershaker

No offence to anyone who lives in Smithfield, but I used to work there and that kind of thing is pretty common around there... Such a shame because aesthetically it's a nice place but I have never seen anything like the scum that hangs around the streets there at all hours of the day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bnev wrote:
    hey, was driving through smithfield last night and heard a lot of screaming and loads of people running around. Anyone know what happened? It was about 11.30.
    Ice skating?

Victor wrote:
    Ice skating?

Oh yeah, that was probably it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bnev

LOL:eek:

no this commotion was on the side of the road. Near the rink but it was on the road. And it wasnt screaming in a happy tone!! Whoever it was wasnt enjoying it if it was the skating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Summerjones

No offence to anyone who lives in Smithfield, but I used to work there and that kind of thing is pretty common around there... Such a shame because aesthetically it's a nice place but I have never seen anything like the scum that hangs around the streets there at all hours of the day and night.

And this is where the Boards Beers will be next weekend? Great!:eek:

• Advertisement

And this is where the Boards Beers will be next weekend? Great!:eek:

:D It's grand, just be careful like you should be anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

yeah I live just off the main square in smithfield. It's a nice place I live in but you get some right gurriers in the area from the local council houses/flats. There's a bottle bank there, and a couple of months ago about 30 youths were throwing the bottles at passers by, and at cars. The garda drove straight by while the youths cheered at them. Maybe backup came I don't know I didn't hang around.
    Anyway - it's typical of the city centre - you try to redevelop an area that is traditionally rough, and while the yuppies may move into fancy apartments, you're still going to have local youngfellas running wild on the streets.
    What they done in most cities in britain is moved the tenemant dwellers outside of the city a long time ago, e.g. Glasgow. Unfortunately we're stuck with these low lifes. Anyone got a solution?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not a 'solution', but I'm wondering how the lads got the bottles out of the bottle banks.
    Unless people from outside the area just dumped them beside the banks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

yeah I live just off the main square in smithfield. It's a nice place I live in but you get some right gurriers in the area from the local council houses/flats. There's a bottle bank there, and a couple of months ago about 30 youths were throwing the bottles at passers by, and at cars. The garda drove straight by while the youths cheered at them. Maybe backup came I don't know I didn't hang around.
    Anyway - it's typical of the city centre - you try to redevelop an area that is traditionally rough, and while the yuppies may move into fancy apartments, you're still going to have local youngfellas running wild on the streets.
    What they done in most cities in britain is moved the tenemant dwellers outside of the city a long time ago, e.g. Glasgow. Unfortunately we're stuck with these low lifes. Anyone got a solution?

Yes. Move the yuppies and such to the outskirts... the locals were there first pal!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

yes but if they refuse to live in harmony with other people something should be done about it. If they're going to redevelop an area, they should move the local scum out of there. Why should they have a choice? It's not like they contribute anything to society, they should be lucky that our taxes feed and clothe (in pyjamas mostly) and house them.

• Advertisement

"Local scum..." Whoops... I think I must have stumbled into Stormfront by mistake...:rolleyes:

Don't tar an entire neighbourhood with the same brush because of a minority.

I get more hassel from the rich rugger types in Dublin than any other group of society.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It looks as if you have just "tar[red] an entire neighbourhood" at another part of the square yuppies.

If I'm not mistaken here it looks like he was talking about the minority of scum and you were calling an minority yuppies???

Sorry... I left my smiley out...

again...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Odd don't recall anything of the sort and I live facing onto Smithfield Square.

There are a fair few local "miscreants" who do tarnish the area though. Example was when a gang of 30-40 youths, a few weeks ago, charged at the local Chartbusters and Spar and the shops actually had to barricade the doors.
    The youths had been assembling for a while beforehand and two Gardai just looked at them for about twenty minutes, sauntered off, and were nowhere to be seen when trouble brewed.

They are not though as annoying as "Smithfield on Ice" which I hate with an absolute fu*king passion given it wakes me up on Saturday/Sunday morning at 9am pumping Slade's "I Wish It Could Be Christmas" out at obnoxious volumes. Seriously why does it need to be so damned loud that I can hear it clearly many metres away from the rink, through double-glazed windows, a duvet pulled over my head, and ear plugs stuck in my ears? Noise pollution such as this - and the many gouriers drunkenly yelling their way home each night - are the worst part of this area for me.

Advertisement