Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT help

Options
  • 28-11-2006 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I have 1992 MR2 GTS Turbo and my NCT certificate expires December 31st. I have a small problem with emissions, in that they are way off! I had my mechanic do an emissions test and its quite terrible. It seems the previous owner had the catalytic converter removed and the lambda sensor that is normally connected after the cat has nowhere to plug in(aftermarket exhaust). So I was hoping it might be possible to plug a hole in the exhaust and attach the lambda sensor. But I have no clue where I could get this done? Does anyone have any recommendations on where I might get this done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Don't know if this will be any good to you but a lad I know had a CTR failing on emissions & he had to change the ecu on her to one from a standard Civic. It had an upgraded ecu in her when she came in from Japan but since he changed it the car has since passed with flying colours.:)

Maybe you'll have to fork out on a new exhaust (with a cat):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I think the easier thing to do is to source a standard exhaust system for your car, including the CAT, and get it fitted for the NCT.

Drilling into your aftermarket system (still without a CAT) is still leaving you open to failure and a ruined aftermarket system..

Without a CAT fitted, I'm 95% sure that you are going to fail every emissions test - particularly with a Jap imported turbo car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I've found a mechanic who will weld in a plug for my oxygen sensor and is sourceing a cat for the car. Hopefully she will pass the test once this is done. Are the emission standards quite strict in this country?

ciarsd wrote:
    Without a CAT fitted, I'm 95% sure that you are going to fail every emissions test - particularly with a Jap imported turbo car :(

Don't know about that.....I've heard of plenty that have passed without a cat:confused:

@ Sesshoumaru:

Let me know how you get on with NCT;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Mates of mine have passed without a CAT in their cars and trust me they are heavily modified cars.

The emmissions tollerance level is very high, but from what I gather about the NCT it really depends on who you get on the day. They are not the most consistant of tests.

Good luck with the test.

• Advertisement

Did these guys who passed without cats have aftermarket ECU's? My first idea for passing the emissions test was to buy an Apexi replacement ECU for the car. A bit pricey, but I figured I could have a seperate mapping that leaned off the air/fuel mixture just for passing the NCT.

Is it not a requirement to have a catalytic converter fitted for the test? or is it they only care about what comes out of your tailpipe?

Is it not a requirement to have a catalytic converter fitted for the test? or is it they only care about what comes out of your tailpipe?

Yes it IS a requirement to have a cat for the test!!

And yes they DO only care about what comes out of the tailpipe. (If you know what I mean):D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tanabe wrote:
    Yes it IS a requirement to have a cat for the test!!

And yes they DO only care about what comes out of the tailpipe. (If you know what I mean):D

No it's not. It's only required from a certain age (I don't know which, at the mo..).

I've a '90 MX-5 Jap import with no cat, and it has sailed through 3 NCT's so far. And it's still on the same plugs I bought the car with !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC cars sold after Jan 1st 1992 must by law have a cat!

Well I have no cat and my car passed the emissions test no problem. I did fail on the handbrake as the passenger side cable snapped. I've since replaced both cables and only have to go back for the handbrake test. Happy days :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well I have no cat and my car passed the emissions test no problem.
    What year is your car?

kbannon wrote:
    What year is your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Reasons for Failure

Engine Exhaust System (1) Leaking

Emission Control System (2) Emission control system leaking, incomplete or incorrectly assembled.

Idle Speed (3) Obviously outside vehicle manufacturers recommendations (e.g. ± 100
    R.P.M. of manufacturers stated speed).

Carbon Monoxide (4) For vehicles first registered before 1st day of October, 1986, the carbon
    Emission monoxide content is more than 4.5% at idling speed.

(5) For vehicles first registered on or after 1st day of October, 1986, up to
    31st December, 1993, the carbon monoxide content at idling speed is
    more than 3.5%.

(6) For vehicles first registered on or after 1st day of January, 1994, the
    carbon monoxide content at idling speed is more than 0.5%.

(7) For vehicles first registered on or after 1st day of January, 1994, the
    carbon monoxide content at 2,500 R.P.M. or at a speed specified by the
    vehicle manufacturer is more than 0.3%.

(8) For vehicles first registered on or after 1st day of July 2002 the carbon
    monoxide ad idling speed is more than 0.3%.

(9) For vehicles first registered on or after 1st day of July 2002 the carbon
    monoxide at 2500 R.P.M. or at a speed specified by the vehicle
    manufacturer is more than 0.2%. Hydrocarbon (H.C.)

(10) For vehicles first registered before 1st October, 1986, the hydrocarbon
    content at idling speed is more than 1,000 P.P.M.

(11) For vehicles first registered on or after 1st day of October,1986, up to
    31st December, 1993, the hydrocarbon content at idling speed is more
    than 750 P.P.M.

(12) For vehicles first registered on or after 1st day of January, 1994, the
    hydrocarbon content at 2,500 R.P.M. or at a speed specified by the
    vehicle manufacturer is more than 200 P.P.M. Lambda

(13) For vehicles first registered on or after 1st day of January, 1994, the
    lambda value at 2,500 R.P.M. or at the speed specified by the vehicle
    manufacturer is not 1± .03 or within the vehicle manufacturers
    recommendation.

Exhaust Emissions (14) Excessive exhaust smoke likely to affect other road users.

Well I have no cat and my car passed the emissions test no problem. I did fail on the handbrake as the passenger side cable snapped. I've since replaced both cables and only have to go back for the handbrake test. Happy days :D

Glad to hear the good news;)

Did you just get a mechanic to weld in a plug for the oxygen sensor & away you go?

Tanabe wrote:
    Glad to hear the good news;)

Did you just get a mechanic to weld in a plug for the oxygen sensor & away you go?

No the second oxygen sensor still wasn't connected. I just left it as it is. It still has the first oxygen sensor connected in the exhaust manifold. But thats it. I just ran it through the NCT to see would any other problems crop up before I start fixing stuff.

Nice 1;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

kbannon wrote:
    IIRC cars sold after Jan 1st 1992 must by law have a cat!

Close, 2 years out. 1st Jan 1994 onwards (type approval regulations)

M.

Advertisement