Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I have MY account number please?

Options
  • 28-11-2006 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

New line set up last week, line is active but no documentation yet (bar the direct debate info!) and I want to apply for broadband, so I rang yesterday for my account number and was refused over the phone although I won't get the eircom pack for days apparently....

So, am I not entitled to the number as a customer??? What can I do, talk to a supervisor. Any ideas? thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm sure you have to provide some sort of details that would authorise you.

If they handed out account numbers willy nilly you'd find yourself in quite a quagmire.

It'd be like your bank giving out your account number over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I went through this a few weeks back. They point black refused to give me the acc number over the phone so I rang again and then got a foreign lad who pretended to email it out to me (He said he would, but never did - consequently upon telling other eircom people this they told me he couldn't have down that cause he's not allowed, it's not their policy etc). You just have to wait for them to post it out to you. You'll then get the modem etc and will probably have to wait another week before your line is activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

fade2black wrote:
    I went through this a few weeks back. They point black refused to give me the acc number over the phone so I rang again and then got a foreign lad who pretended to email it out to me (He said he would, but never did - consequently upon telling other eircom people this they told me he couldn't have down that cause he's not allowed, it's not their policy etc). You just have to wait for them to post it out to you. You'll then get the modem etc and will probably have to wait another week before your line is activated.

Cheers but after this display theres no way they're getting my business, utvs package suits me with free UK calls included. I can't see how they can point blank refuse your details while allowing you us the phone service, oh and processing your direct debate details....sounds potentially illegal to me to withhold my own information (granted its over the phone but i can give them every little detail they need to authenticate!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Cheers but after this display theres no way they're getting my business, utvs package suits me with free UK calls included. I can't see how they can point blank refuse your details while allowing you us the phone service, oh and processing your direct debate details....sounds potentially illegal to me to withhold my own information (granted its over the phone but i can give them every little detail they need to authenticate!)

?

its called security

sure whats to stop me doing it then?

event wrote:
    ?

its called security

sure whats to stop me doing it then?

Ummm, let me think, do you know my
    name,
    address,
    landline number,
    mobile number,
    bank details already on file??

Thats what....but thanks for your valuable input :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 morningstars

name,
    address,
    landline number,
    mobile number,

Yes

Yes

Damn! Ok, look lets just come to some sort of agreement huh? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

name,
    address,
    landline number,
    mobile number,

Thats what....but thanks for your valuable input :-)

you think its hard to get those details?

i know my girlfriends

name
    address
    landline number
    mobile number
    bank details

does that mean i should be given it out over the phone?

no it doesnt

its called security, and its a way of blocking (or trying to) block identify theft

be glad eircom are like that, you maye be thankful they are so protective one day

event wrote:

i know my girlfriends

name
    address
    landline number
    mobile number
    bank details

no it doesnt

its called security, and its a way of blocking (or trying to) block identify theft

be glad eircom are like that, you maye be thankful they are so protective one day

Eh, yes you can use her details to do a lot of stuff that would constitute identity theft....but thats completely off topic. Security has little to do with it, Eircom don't do this as a form of security, I was refused the minute I disclosed that I wanted the number to make broadband enquiries elsewhere, which is realistically the main reason to need that number isn't it....but thanks for the off topic discussion :-) Very helpful

event wrote:

i know my girlfriends

name
    address
    landline number
    mobile number
    bank details

no it doesnt

And by the way, your girlfriend is an exceptional example, you've hardly proven that you can get all MY details..... :-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And they know what number you dialled from EVEN if you turn of CLI as they ARE the Telco?

What more security do they need?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

watty wrote:
    And they know what number you dialled from EVEN if you turn of CLI as they ARE the Telco?

What more security do they need?

Well you might not be dialling from the number in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Then you're definately a criminal :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

watty wrote:
    Then you're definately a criminal :)

And thats why Eircom do not give out the number over the phone!

event wrote:

i know my girlfriends

name
    address
    landline number
    mobile number
    bank details

no it doesnt

Just to update all.....and some in particular.....rang eircom last friday, asked to be put straight through to a supervisor, politely argued my case and demanded MY account number, he rang me back immediately on my mobile and gave it to me with apologies. Thats better! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

For any idiot saying banks and eircom don't give out your account number on the phone must be living on planet clueless. :rolleyes:

Banks have no problem giving you your account number as long as you can answer a few simple questions but for some of the posters above may have problems answering simple questions so they believe its impossible to get your account number over the phone.

With eircom if you don't want to hang around waiting for them to post it ask them to send your account number to your voicemail at home.

If you have problems getting an account number from anyone tell them your trying to set up an account to pay them with online banking but you can't do that without your account number. They'll quickly get you your account number! :D

Advertisement