Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to Identify my vehicle and tyres?

Options
  • 28-11-2006 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Is there any way to identify your vehicle model number etc?

I have the chassis number and info from another plate that was under the bonnet:

XXXXXXXX XX
    XX X X
    XXXXXXXX

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for the right tyres on eiretyres.com and when I put in Ford Transit, I get loads of model numbers. As far as I know it's a 100L, but haven't a clue which one exactly. It's a 1999 registered car.

There's 3 different tyre brands on my car and this is the info from each (They are all 195R 14C) but the rest is all just numbers to me:(:

tyre 1: 106/104P | B2-G124890 GRFH 58PB| (D07) Dot coj8 2b9 (0104) | (eb) 0093117
    tyre 2: 106/104L | C8pr | 8 Ply | 54
    tyre 3: 106/104L | BSAU 144e | 55 PSI | 275

on eyretyres.com there is a dropdown menu between the 195 and the R14 C but I can't see anywhere on the tyre that gives this figure.

I'd like an all weather tyre. If you click the advice link on the left hand menu, it takes you to the manufacturer, but after that, I'm lost:(

Would appreciate any help with this:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I dont think its a good idea issuing your VIN Number.

To pick a tyre, first find out the size of the wheels eg 15 inch etc

Second decide how think you want the tyre wall to be. Distance from wheel rim to the edge of the tyre (badly explained I know).

Tyre size is printed like 195/50/15. 15 - 15 being the for 15 inch wheel, 50 - the thinkness of the tyre wall.

Your VIN number what state the correct tyre for your car, Its normally up to you to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

which is the VIN number so I can edit it? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

assuming you have the correct size tyre on your van, you have to modify your entry in eiretyres somewhat.

tyre size 195 N/A 14

speed index: at least N (L is a bit miserly)

all season tyre

and under special request click the box for van tyres

this comes up with a few to chooose from.

If you select winter tyres, you get a better choice and with the state of Irish summers you might as well drive winter tyres all year round.

When you say assuming I have the correct size tyre on, do you mean there is a chance that 195r14 is the wrong size for them?

Is there any way I can check everything is the way it should be with the Chassis number I wonder?

Should I be going for reinforced tyres since I'll be carrying heavy loads or would the van tyres already be reinforced?

How much do garages charge to fit a tyre from eyretyres does anyone know? I'll be saving about €16 a tyre but if I can get it from a garage who will fit and everything for around the same price, it'd probably be best to get from there.

This is one tyre result I got, pricey :(
    Dunlop
    Tyre producer from Japan, Quality product in high price segment
    SP LT 800 195 R14C 106/104P 8PR , M+S marking
    Dunlop

* All season tyres
    * Speed P: the speed capability of this tires is up to 93 mph/150 km/h !
    * We only supply the tire. If there is a rim shown on the picture, it is just to symbolize.

Special all-season tyre with balanced handling.
    Excellent for use in snow and rain.
    Low noise level.
    Mud and snow rating.
    List price*: EUR 103,00 !
    With us only EUR 87,00

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would bring the van to a couple of tyre centres and see how much they are charging for tyres. Also take note of the tyres they are quoting you on. Then make comparisons with online prices. Some tyre centres may not be much dearer than online prices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Quite often you'll see it printed on the car on the B pillar, visible when you have the drivers door open.

If it's not there then a quick call to the garage should sort it, assuming you are still using the original wheels. If the wheels have been changed then just note down the type of tyre on your car now and get the same size.

A point to note is that it'll cost you to get those new tyres put on in a garage, I got quoted a tenner per wheel.

Brill, I knew I was involved in a thread before about cheap tyres. This is the thread anyway and I rang Dave Mcann and was quoted €75 a tyre including fitting for 8 ply 195 r14 for a Transit. Think I'll be going with that so:)

Ok, just rang the other crowd your man suggested:
    Roundabout Tyre Centre Walkinstown Roundabout St Peters rd Dublin 12 01 4508015

and was quoted €85 inc fitting for 8 ply 195R14 firestone tyres which he said are the best they have.

Any thoughts on that so? I've heard of Firestone which is a good sign I suppose and the poster said that they are the cheapest he has found. May just go with that for the extra €33 (I've taken away the cost it'd take me to go through the toll Bridge if I went to Dave Mcann;))

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

FYI Firestone are owned by Bridgestone;)

I've heard of them too;) So that must be a good thing, right? Are they a good brand though yeah? Like is €85 a good price for fitting and alignment and all that?

• Advertisement

Apart from the contraversy in the states with the Ford Pickups falling off roads going around small bends cos of there firestone tyres other than that I'm sure they are ok but most brands are ok just ask for a high mileage tyre and you can't go wrong me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Dave Mccann tyres in Clonsilla are imo a fantastic business...No connection mind, He's just a customer to me. Any who all vans/ commericals/ppl carriers cormie are or atleast should be reinforced..it'll fail a D.O.E otherwise.

Ok cool, so 8 ply means its reinforced yeah? :)

If the firestone have dodgy reviews, I may just go for the Dave Mcann ones instead.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Everything you wanted to know aout tyres and were afraid to ask...
    www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

endplate wrote:
    Apart from the contraversy in the states with the Ford Pickups falling off roads going around small bends cos of there firestone tyres other than that I'm sure they are ok but most brands are ok just ask for a high mileage tyre and you can't go wrong me thinks

This was down to Ford running the tyres underinflated to make the car ride smoother. The SUVs, Ford Explorer not pickups, where crashing due to a design flaw and not the tyres fault. BTW all SUVs have a tendency to do this.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/061701/Firestone/Attention_shifts_from.shtml

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,128198,00.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Shoppers/Drivers_News/Firestone_Faults_Ford_Settles.S241.A3123.html

So you reckon it had nothing to do with it being a firestone tyre?

Del2005 wrote:
    This was down to Ford running the tyres underinflated to make the car ride smoother. The SUVs, Ford Explorer not pickups, where crashing due to a design flaw and not the tyres fault. BTW all SUVs have a tendency to do this.

Ok didn't have my fact right didn't follow the story that closely;) Based most of my fact on the Simpson's Canyonaro:D

Can't imagine anything wrong with the Firestones there are enough on them on the roads without any problem;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

you will need 8ply tyres for the doe in ireland anyway, even if it came from the factory with re inforced.
    three strengths of van tyre reinfrorced 6 ply and 8 ply. due to the above reason you will find when you ring a tyre depot for van tyres that is what you will be quoted on.
    Firestone are an excellant tyre and would recommend them to anyone.

Ok cool, I may as well just go for the firestones I think. Wonder will they save me the extra in petrol in the time I use them? :)

Advertisement