Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast growing bush/hedge

Options
  • 28-11-2006 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

There's a house being built across the next field and the new neighbours will be able to look directly onto our porch where herself likes to sit once the sun is out.

The house is far enough away so that one strategecially planted bush/hedge will obscure the line of sight without the need for the Fort Knox type Thuja hedge.

The question is ...what to get?

Something evergreen would be ideal, nothing too exotic, but hardy and sturdy and it should grow pretty fast (the house is almost finished:D )

Soil isn't great, hawthorns and whitethorns seem to thrive on it though.

What would the green thumbed brigade recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Maybe a couple of privet plants.

Boring I admit but effective and lots of hedge cutting in front of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

You *could* grow a single leylandii and it would provide the cover you need very quickly.
    Very cheap, very fast growing and as a single plant can be trimmed to any height you desire.

BUT keep it trimmed, if I remember correctly they can grow 3foot in one year!! (VERY fast growing and very thick), which is why a lot of ppl dont like them.
    But plant it at least 7-10 feet away from the building.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about some New Zealand Holly? looks nice with an attractive white flower, and not as prickly as the native holly.
    also grows quickly even in windy exposed conditions.
    and seems to tolerate poor soil quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

I made the mistake of filling my garden with fast-growing shrubs a few years back. One by one I've hacked them out cos they just kept growing long after they had reached the required height and I was filling a skip-loads of trimmings every year.
    Unless you're prepared to do a lot of trimming, watch out for the fast growing shrubs.
    The only 2 of my original shrubs that worked out were a pittosporum (has an attractive natural shape) and a fatsia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thanks for all the tips ...off to ggogle the different names now (haven't got a clue about plants)

A single, "exploding" bush sounds good though ...the "garden" is huge and there's more than enough room for "exploding" plants.

• Advertisement
Advertisement