Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should he hire a solicitor?

• 28-11-2006 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anyone know that if summoned for a driving offence if a solicitor is always needed? My partner is due in court for no insurance on his car he had let lapse (yes, idiot I know) sorted it, heard no more and exactly a year later got a summons for same - coming up soon and is not sure how to go from here - bascially what we want to know is...Should he hire a solicitor?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

In almost all cases involving road traffic offences the court will refuse legal aid. In fact I don't ever recall seeing legal aid being granted in such a case. What this means is that if your partner wants to be represented by a solicitor or maybe even counsel then he is going to have to pay for it out of his own pocket. You can ring around different firms to get a quote, but as a rough estimate I would think somewhere in the region €350-€700, possibly even more depending on the plea and things such as the complexity of the case, etc. It is really a matter for your partner whether he chooses to be represented or not, I would say however, that a convinction under s.56 as amended of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 (i.e. no insurance) can have serious consequences, as I will outline.

Firstly, upon summary conviction your partner will be liable for a maximum fine of €1,270 (or whatever the euro conversion of £1,000 punts) or six months imprisonment (although this is highly unlikely on a first offence). Secondly, the conviction MUST be endorsed on the driver's licence. And an endosorsement lasts for three years. Thirdly, there is a mandatory or consequential 1 year disqualification. However, on a first offence for a special reason a court may not disqualify, or disqualify for less than 1 year. In my experience whether or not a disqualification is ordered is largely dependant on the particular judge and the particular circumstances of the case.

As you can see a conviction for no insurance can have very serious consequences indeed. Particulary for somebody who drives for a living. The mandatory endorsement will also affect insurance premiums, etc. Indeed many insurance companies won't even quote if you have not got a 'clean' driving licence. Anyway, as I have said already it really is a matter for your partner to decide whether or not he deems it necessary to instruct a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jayded

Thanks for the reply. I think it's wise for him to get a solicitor. We are aware that penalty points and a fine is mandatory but it's important he dosen't get disqualified - so , hopefully, hopefully, as a very first offence for a middle aged man the courts might look favourably on that! Now to look for a solicitor, golden pages I guess.
    ta again

Advertisement