Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reid Furniture - Pre Xmas lies

Options
  • 28-11-2006 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I am writing this as a heads up for anyone who is thinking of getting furniture from Reid Furniture (Airside Retail Park)

Last September I ordered a leather suite from Reid Furniture. I was told that it would be delivered mid November. In the second week of November I called them about the suite and they told me it would be after Christmas before it would be delivered. I informed the girl on the phone that the docket said pre Xmas. She then got snotty with me and told me the sales person would call me on Tuesday (This was Friday)

Tuesday came and went with no phone call from Reid’s. I then called out to them the following Monday. I spoke to the sales person that sold me the sofa and he denied that he said it would be November. I then showed him the docket with Pre Xmas on it and he started to stutter and mumble. He then said he would call me the following Sunday. Again there was no phone call so I called out to then yet again on Monday only to find that the store was closed down for 2 days of filming.

I confronted the person at the door and asked for a reprehensive from Reid’s to come out and speak to me. He told me there was no one I could talk to and I should come back Wednesday. After a bitter row I then pulled my car across the doors and told them they where not filming nothing until I got my money :)

Surprise, surprise out comes the sales manager who asked me to move my car. I told him I can’t as I think it has broken down and it might be left there all day. He gave me a full refund there and then. All of a sudden my car was working again and I drove off. Strange that :D

While I was standing there another chap walked up and said he was waiting for a sofa from early June. He was refunded as well.

The moral of the story is quite simple. If you think Reid Furniture will have your sofa before Christmas then good luck to you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What is it will furnature retailers, leather goods and Xmas time?

I've never heard a happy story yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

RYR154 wrote:
    After a bitter row I then pulled my car across the doors and told them they where not filming nothing until I got my money :)

Well done your a hero, kicking and screaming and throwing your bottle out of the pram didnt work no? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kaza

Thats fantastic, well done. I'm having similar problems with furniture I ordered from Top Drawer in Stillorgan - see my thread further down! Sadly, these guys claim to be a 'boutique furniture store', its a nice store, with nice furniture but their delivery times and customer service is appalling. My 4 week delivery time is now over 5 months and counting, sadly I like the furniture and cant find another store selling this stuff.

Anyways, well done. Hope you have more success with your next order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ha ha blocking the door well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 helsbels

Glad I read this. I rang last week and someone was supposed to call me and didn't. I was trying to ring Reid at Airside all day yesterday and couldn't get through. Now I know why. You would think they would have had an answering machine message or something. I am going to be onto them tomorrow , our form also states pre Christmas on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Well done your a hero, kicking and screaming and throwing your bottle out of the pram didnt work no? :rolleyes:
    Yes, the OP is indeed a hero. It's a shame the average Irish consumer doesn't have as much backbone as him.

Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Yup,OP pat yourself on back.....Great to hear a happy ending. Must get myself a Lada,great Persuasive powers those cars have...hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

RYR154 wrote:
    I am writing this as a heads up for anyone who is thinking of getting furniture from Reid Furniture (Airside Retail Park)

Last September I ordered a leather suite from Reid Furniture. I was told that it would be delivered mid November.......

I had the exact same problem 2 years ago with Reids. Ordered in September, was promised I'd have it before Christmas. Late November they rang me to say that the couch I ordered was no longer manufactured. (Why it took over 2 months to work that out I'll never know). So I told them where to go. I then went to Diamond furniture. They said that they couldn't guarantee Christmas delivery, but that they would do their best. Turned out that it was the first week in January before they delivered, but I didn't mind too much as I had only ordered from them 4 weeks previously. They were very apologetic and refunded me €200 from the original price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I ordered a suite of furniture from Land of Leather. It came on time. Well maybe a week or two late but nearly on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

oh no!:eek: I ordered a leather suite 4 wks ago and they said I will have it this week.
    better ring them:eek: I had to cancel an order for a similar suite I ordered in Argos in August and cancelled it in November due to non delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

these big chains are all dickheads , they all make more money selling 0% finance deals than they do on cash sales anyway so they don't care a jot for people who pay up front. Had you signed up for 0% or pay later it would be different.

As for lying to you !, the staff these chain shops are lied to all their time by their colleagues in logistics and purchasing anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I won't go to Reids ever again, after my own problems with them last year.

We bought a sofa, which was delivered on time, but promptly fell apart the first time I sat on it. The delivery man had put it together incorrectly. Fair enough, it can happen, but when I rang Reids to have it fixed, I was told there would be a technician out to me in 10-14 days (!!!!). I ranted and raved but this didn't help (they had the cash at this stage - what do they care about me !)

He did turn up after 10 days and put in 4 screws to solve the problem. Still this time delay is unacceptable to my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I really dont know why people accept this crap from large furniture retailers.
    We've heard all the horror stories and the delay with furniture from stores such as Reids.
    I think the main problem with these stores is that they dont rent the warehouse space to store the furniture in this country and hence have to order everything-this being especially the case in Dublin apparently. I wouldnt mind this so much were they cheaper than everyone else because they were saving money elsewhere-but they are not.

We've bought all our Furniture from EZ Living on in Galway. I think they are a big enough retailer but they have a massive showroom and anything we looked at they could deliver within one week. Great to deal with also.
    I would recommend them 100%. No delivery charge either.
    We looked in Reids as well but found the particuliar staff member we dealt with pretty arrogant, a minium of 3 months for delivery of suites, a DELIVERY CHARGE of 80 euro per delivery and the fact that the stuff didnt appear to be cheap.

Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

I cannot say enough bad things about Reids and i wouldnt ever buy a sofa there, went there two weeks ago with my sister as she wanted to buy a particular sofa that she had seen. We were 20 mins waiting for a sales rep eventhough there was nobody in the store and when he did arrive his knowledge was pathetic, he was too busy trying to sell us the extended 3 year warranty for the sofa that covers damage, etc... After my sister telling him about 10 times that she didnt want it i told him that we dont want the f**king warrenty and we just want the sofa, after this he told us that he wouldnt buy the couch without the warranty as they do tend to wear out quickly :eek: we just walked out of the store and ended up with a better deal elsewhere. I dont know where they train these people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Tony255 wrote:
    We were 20 mins waiting for a sales rep even though there was nobody in the store and when he did arrive his knowledge was pathetic, he was too busy trying to sell us the extended 3 year warranty for the sofa that covers damage, etc... After my sister telling him about 10 times that she didn't want it i told him that we dont want the f**king warrenty and we just want the sofa, after this he told us that he wouldnt buy the couch without the warranty as they do tend to wear out quickly

Just to add my piece with this detail, We ordered from Reid furniture and had nothing but good karma, no problems, and the furniture arrived early, (small problem as we had not moved into the new house, but they stored it for us until we did get to move in, about 3 weeks.
    But in relation to that warranty, don't buy it if you get a leather suite. If the leather tears the will use the exclusion of natural wear and tear ie tears. i think it is called scarring of the leather during skinning process and it is one of the exclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Congrats on having the delivery date written into the sales contract/docket - It is very important that consumers don't rely on verbal promises of delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 jimmy2shoes

ordered a leather sofa off land of leather at the end of october for a delivery at the end of november, came about 15th november. though left the bloody huge cardboard box on my drive way and refused to tale it away with them. so if anyone needs a bio-degradable coffin, give us a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

My mother ordered a leather suite in Reids (Airside Retail Park) sometime around july/august this year. Paid cash deposit and the balance was paid in full in early oct. Suite was to be delivered within 3 weeks ...... still no suite. Lie after lie .... I dont know how they sleep at night. Eventually enough was enough and she cancelled two days ago, would not give a refund on the spot but said a cheque would be posted out within 8 working days or so. While she was there she said there was about 6 other people there too all suffering the same problems. Its disgraceful the way these big furniture chains are allowed to carry on like this. They take your money and you get nothing but hassle and maybe from start to finish in my mothers case 6 months or so you have nothing to show at the end of it..... and left fighting to get your own hard earned cash back..

AVOID THESE W***ERS AT ALL COST:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We ordered a sofa from Reid at the beginning of November, it was a cancelled order so was in the store waiting to be delivered, we were told we'd get it the next week, finally got it the beginning of December, they charged 70 euro for delivery and got their lorry stuck in my garden, churned up the grass and made a total mess of the place.
    Wouldn't deal with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Found a nice fabric today in Reid, a 3 + 2

Turns out the lady knew my GF, we sat and I asked her about delivery times, asking if they (Galway) were anything like Dublins store. She said she had heard about the car-across-the-doors thing at a meeting

She said realisticly, could be 16 weeks before I see my furniture. She then told me to hold on. She came back and since I was going for a package deal, the furniture was in Dublin, so would 'only' take 6 weeks ... FFS I could carry it on my back in Shorter time!

Seems a sickener to pay them 80euro to deliver (My house is 3 miles from the shop)... For that kind of money they will be delivering it right to the position I want the furniture, AND removing the packaging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I think the most important thing you can do is pay for your furniture by credit card. That way you can always backcharge if worst comes to worst. And as RainyDay said its so important that the agreed details i.e. delievery date are written on the docket. Well done RYR154!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

As I said earlier dont touch them with a barge pole, I would nearly put them side by side with BT :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

axer wrote:
    I think the most important thing you can do is pay for your furniture by credit card. That way you can always backcharge if worst comes to worst. And as RainyDay said its so important that the agreed details i.e. delievery date are written on the docket. Well done RYR154!

So...

Pay by credit card
    Get delivery date written on docket

Any other tips?

Advertisement