Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disability Allowance

• 28-11-2006 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, I am new to these boards. I just wanted your advice on a certain matter.
    I work in construction and I injured my back last August. Obviously I can no longer work for awhile until I am 100% fit to do so but I needed money. I applied for social welfare but they pointed me in the direction of disability allowance. I applied for this and now I received benefit from them.

The problem is, I have been getting €133.30 per week since September and I only recently realized that I should have actually been on €165.80 per week. I called the office and they told me to send my book to the main office in Longford and I will receive a new book for €168.80 per week. I asked would I be reimbursed the missing €32.50 per week (x 13 weeks = €442.50) and I was told that they didn't know(?)

Does anybody know if I am entitled to be reimbursed this money?

Sorry about the long message but thank you for reading it.

Phil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

Hi Bigphil, welcome to boards.
    If the social welfare have made a mistake and underpaid you, you should get it back, they usually send you out a letter that says how much you are entitled to
    which should also state whether they class you as having "means".
    You should check to make sure that they havent taken the E32.50 off you as means.
    I had a long wait for nearly a year for my payment to come through(due to an appeal), but i received all that i was entitled to at the end of it.
    Id try phoning the longford office direct as they should be able to tell you over the phone if you have been underpaid or assessed as having means. Be prepared to have to wait a while for them to answer the phone though!!!
    Hope this helps

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 altnaneen

hi
    New to this but here goes. I am on disability benefit. This name is now changed to illness benefit I think. The type of disability you get depeends on your stamp class. Was it an "A" stamp. This is soooo important. "A" no means test you get full entitlement, "S" stamp for self employed for example then it is means tested
    Check Social Welfare site online or call citezens advice or local social welfare office. You will get arrears if stamp is "A"
    good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭BigPhil

Hi again, thanks for all your help :)

chasm: I got a letter from the social welfare and they said that I am entitled to get reimbursed the money that they mistakenly deducted from my weekly disability allowance. They never gave me a date or anything it just stated that the arrears will be paid back 'in due course'. what ever that is worth. I was hoping to have it back before Christmas as it would really help me easy my finical headache that I have found myself in.

altnaneen: I am not on illness benefit (formally called disability benefit) I am on disability allowance and from what I heard the two are competently different.

Again, thanks for you help!

Phil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

Hi again BigPhil,
    Glad to hear you will be getting reimbursed what you are owed.
    Im afraid "in due course" could mean you may have a bit of a wait for it, it all depends on what sort of backlog they have really. I know its of little use to you now but at least you'll have a nice few euros after the xmas.
    Have you looked into your entitlements for household benefits package, living alone allowance etc also.
    Anyway fingers crossed you get your payment before the xmas

k

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stevek2840

hi im steve and was wondering, i collect my money from the post office every wednesday but now i am stuck, u see im going to college next year and thinking of going to england as i cant do the course in ireland, can they hold my money? can my mom collect it? also on the form i may be wrong but i taught someone else can collect it if not able.
    or my other option is switch to bank account do you need to sign and have a card or do they put the money in your account automatically, thanks and im 17 if that helps anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement